This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
at Internet Week 2015 in New York
Marc Louis Milecofsky
August 29, 1972
Livingston, New Jersey, U.S.
|Residence||Bernardsville, New Jersey|
|Occupation||Fashion designer, artist, entrepreneur, investor, philanthropist|
|Known for||Founding Eckō Unltd. and Complex|
|Spouse(s)||Allison Rojas (2000-present; 3 children)|
Marc Louis "Eckō" Milecofsky (born August 29, 1972) is an American fashion designer, entrepreneur, and artist. He is the founder and Chief Creative Officer of fashion company Ecko Unlimited. He also founded Complex magazine in 2002.
Early life and education
Milecofsky was born in New Jersey on August 29 1972. He was brought up with his twin Marci and an older sister, Shari, in suburban Lakewood, New Jersey, where his father was a pharmacist and his mother was a real estate broker.
Ecko entered Rutgers University's School of Pharmacy in New Brunswick, New Jersey after high school. During his time in college he painted graffiti and practiced drawing, taking "Eckō" for his name. In his third year, the school's dean encouraged Ecko to take a year off and pursue art.
In 1993, Ecko started Ecko Unlimited as a T-shirt company, with small investments from his sister and a friend, Seth Gerszberg. He traveled to Hong Kong to learn about the clothing industry. Early clients Spike Lee and Chuck D helped bring attention to his fledgling business, as did a Good Morning America segment that featured his T-shirt designs. The company expanded further into hip-hop and skater styles, and began to sport a rhinoceros logo.
Ecko was appointed to the Board of Directors of the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA); the youngest designer to do so. Since 2010, he has been a member of the Emeritus Board.
In 2011 Ecko started Unlimited Justice, a social activism campaign which opposed corporal punishment in U.S. schools.
- "Marc Ecko Biography - life, family, children, parents, name, story, school, young, born, husband, time - Newsmakers Cumulation". Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "'Gotta Be Cool': Marc Ecko's Empire". Nick Rozon. ABC Nightline. September 12, 2007. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Andrew Flanagan (April 23, 2018). "Marc Ecko, Complex Media Co-Founder, on His Company After Verizon and Digital Media in the Facebook Age: Q&A". Billboard.
- Good Morning America segment featuring Ecko's t-shirt designs Archived 2011-10-06 at the Wayback Machine
- "Marc Ecko Collection Clothes - Clothing & Accessories by Marc Ecko Collection". 16 March 2009. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- Appetit, Bon. "The Foodist: Food News and Trends - Bon Appétit". Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "It's Going to Be Big". Arthur Lubow. Inc. March 1, 2009. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- "Fashion Designer Launches Campaign To End Corporal Punishment In Schools". 9 March 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- Marc Eckō, Unlabel: Selling You Without Selling Out, Simon & Schuster, New York, NY, 2013. ISBN 978-1-4516-8530-5