||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Marc Gopin is director of the Center for World Religions, Diplomacy and Conflict Resolution, and James H. Laue Professor at George Mason University. He studies the role that religion and culture play in conflicts and conflict resolution. In 2008 he received the Andrew Thomas Peacebuilder Award from the New York State Dispute Resolution Association (NYSDRA). He is currently the James H. Laue Professor of Religion, Diplomacy and Conflict Resolution at George Mason University's School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution.
Gopin's particular emphasis is on the role of religion and culture in not only sparking conflict, but as critical to reaching lasting resolution between peoples and nations. Widely recognized for his lectures and trainings on peacemaking strategies, Gopin has worked in Ireland, Israel, India, Switzerland, and Italy, and has presented at Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Princeton Universities. He has also engaged in back channel diplomacy with religious, political, and military figures on both sides of entrenched conflicts, especially in the Arab/Israeli conflict.
In 1983, Gopin was ordained as a rabbi at Yeshiva University, where he was a student of Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik. Though ordained as an Orthodox rabbi, he eventually stopped identifying with any Jewish denomination.
Published Works and Reviews
- Bridges across an Impossible Divide: The Inner Lives of Arab and Jewish Peacemakers. Oxford University Press. 2012. ISBN 9780199916986.
- To Make the Earth Whole: Citizen Diplomacy in the Age of Religious Militancy. Rowman and Littlefield. 2009. ISBN 9780742558632.
- Changing Course: A New Direction for US Relations with the Muslim World, co-author and member of Leadership Group (US Muslim Engagement Project, Washington DC, Cambridge, MA, September 2008)
- Healing the Heart of Conflict. Rodale Press. 2004. ISBN 9781579547936.
- "Judaism and Peacebuilding in Religion and Peacebuilding, Albany: State University of New York Press, 2004
- Holy War, Holy Peace. Oxford University Press. 2002. ISBN 9780195146509.
- Between Eden and Armageddon: The Future of World Religions, Violence and Peacemaking. Oxford University Press. 2000. ISBN 9780195157253.
- Lauren Gelfond Feldinger (January 21, 2010). "The Lonely Man of Peace". The Jerusalem Post.