Marc Hideo Miyake
|Thesis||The Phonology of Eighth-Century Japanese Revisited: Another Reconstruction Based upon Written Records (1999)|
|Doctoral advisor||Alexander Vovin|
Miyake was born in Aiea, Hawaii in 1971, and attended Punahou School in Honolulu, graduating in 1989. He studied Japanese language and literature at University of California, Berkeley, and then studied linguistics at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, from where he obtained his doctorate in 1999, with a dissertation entitled The Phonology of Eighth-Century Japanese Revisited: Another Reconstruction Based upon Written Records. He is best known for his work on the phonetic reconstruction of Old Japanese, but is also known for his work on the extinct Tangut language.
He is currently a research assistant at the British Museum, where his research concerns the decipherment of Pyu inscriptions. He is also a research associate in the Department of Linguistics at the School of Oriental and African Studies.
- Miyake, Marc Hideo (2003). Old Japanese: A Phonetic Reconstruction. London and New York: RoutledgeCurzon. ISBN 0-415-30575-6.
- Miyake, Marc Hideo (2003). "Philological evidence for *e and *o in Pre-Old Japanese". Diachronica. 20 (1): 83–137. doi:10.1075/dia.20.1.06miy.
- Miyake, Marc Hideo (2006). "Kana’s Korean origins". In Françoise Bottéro & Redouane Djamouri (eds.), Ecriture chinoise: données, usages et représentations, pp. 185–205. Paris: CRLAO. ISBN 2-910216-08-X.
- Miyake, Marc Hideo (2012). "Complexity from Compression: a Sketch of Pre-Tangut". In Irina Popova (ed.), Тангуты в Центральной Азии: сборник статей в честь 80-летия проф. Е.И.Кычанова [Tanguts in Central Asia: a collection of articles marking the 80th anniversary of Prof. E. I. Kychanov], pp. 244–261. Moscow: Oriental Literature. ISBN 978-5-02-036505-6.
- Griffiths, Arlo; Hudson, Bob; Miyake, Marc; Wheatley, Julian K. (2017). "Studies in Pyu Epigraphy, I: State of the Field, Edition and Analysis of the Kan Wet Khaung Mound Inscription, and Inventory of the Corpus". Bulletin de l’École française d’Extrême-Orient. 103: 43–205.
- "UHM Department of Linguistics Alumni". Retrieved 2010-05-08.
- "Doctoral Degrees Granted in Foreign Languages in the United States: 1999".
- "Beyond Boundaries: Religion, Region, Language and the State". British Museum. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- "Marc Miyake". SOAS.