|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley (BA)|
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, Engineer, Co-founder of Tesla|
Marc Tarpenning (born June 1, 1964) is an American engineer and entrepreneur. He co-founded Tesla Inc. (then Tesla Motors) with Martin Eberhard in 2003. Marc had served as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and the Vice President (of Electrical Engineering) of Tesla until 2008.
After graduating from Berkeley, Tarpenning spent several years working for Textron in Saudi Arabia. Tarpenning then developed software and firmware products for several companies, including Seagate Technology and Bechtel, and later served as vice president of engineering at Packet Design, a network technology company. In 1997, Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard founded NuvoMedia, a company that built an early e-book, the RocketBook, in 1998. In 2000, Gemstar–TV Guide International acquired NuvoMedia for $187 million.
In 2003, Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard collaborated again and founded Tesla Motors (now Tesla Inc.). The two co-founders funded the company until early 2004, when Elon Musk led the company’s $6.5 million Series A financing round in February 2004 and became the Chairman of the Board. Tarpenning continued to serve as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and the Vice President of Electrical Engineering in Tesla until 2008.
After leaving Tesla, Tarpenning began to serve as an adviser or member of advisory board of several companies, including his alma mater (SkyDeck project, UC Berkeley) and Spero Ventures, a VC firm. Marc Tarpenning is a member of the advisory board at Clearpath Robotics, an unmanned vehicles manufacturer.
- "Marc Tarpenning - Engineer, Entrepreneur and Investor". Marc Tarpenning. Retrieved 2020-10-19.
- "Co-Founder Marc Tarpenning '85 Shows Off Tesla's "Baby Pictures" | Innovators". innovators.berkeley.edu. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "A Founder's Night: Hap Klopp & Marc Tarpenning - UC Berkeley Sutardja Center". UC Berkeley Sutardja Center. 2017-03-06. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "The Making Of Tesla: Invention, Betrayal, And The Birth Of The Roadster". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Tesla Co-Founder Marc Tarpenning Tells Definitive Story Of Company's Beginnings | CleanTechnica". cleantechnica.com. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- Kumparak, Greg. "A brief history of Tesla". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Tesla's original team, where are they now?". Electrek. 2015-05-16. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning | American entrepreneurs". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Berkeley Innovators Series: Marc Tarpenning, Co-Founder of Tesla Motors". CITRIS Foundry. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "Co-Founder of Tesla, Marc Tarpenning". Internet History Podcast. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "SkyDeck | Advisors". skydeck.berkeley.edu. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- Kolodny, Lora (2019-10-03). "Tesla co-founder Marc Tarpenning joins Pierre Omidyar's Spero Ventures". CNBC. Retrieved 2020-03-23.
- "Marc Tarpenning". Crunchbase. Retrieved 2020-09-02.