2 August 1920
|Known for||Founder of Iberville Developments|
|Net worth||US$ 1.5 billion (April 2017)|
Linda Adams Troy
Adams was born Marcel Abramovich to a Jewish family in Romania in 1920. His father was a tanner. During World War II he was forced to work in Nazi labor camps (1941-1944). He escaped and fled first to Turkey and then to Mandate Palestine where he fought for the independence of Israel. In 1951, he immigrated to Canada where he worked at a Quebec City tannery. In 1955, he began investing in real estate making a 70% profit on his first building. In 1958, he founded Iberville Developments and in 1959, he opened his first mall. Adams is retired and his son, Sylvan Adams, now operates the company. As of 2017, Iberville owns and manages a diverse portfolio of over 100 properties consisting of 8 million square feet.
In 1953, he married Annie Adams; they have four children: Julian, Sylvan, Linda, and Leora. His son Julian is a biochemist who lead a team that developed the drug Velcade; his son Sylvan runs Iberville; his daughter Linda is a lawyer married to commentator Gil Troy; and his daughter Leora is a nurse. Sylvan is married to English born Maggot Cornwell.
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - Marcel Adams April 2017
- The Press Reader: "Billionaire Marcel Adams Cultivates Israeli Brainpower" May 2, 2010
- Financial Post: "93-year-old Canadian real estate mogul makes Forbes billionaires list for first time" by Nicolas Van Praet March 4, 2013
- Canadian Business: "Canada's Richest People 2017 - Marcel Adams" 2017
- Immobilier Commercial" "SYLVAN ADAMS en tête de peloton" volume 7 - numéro 6 - December 7, 2014