|Canadian Ambassador to the United States|
|Prime Minister||Pierre Trudeau|
|Preceded by||Edgar Ritchie|
|Succeeded by||Jake Warren|
|Born||June 17, 1915|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Died||March 19, 1981 (aged 65)|
Pompano Beach, Florida, U.S.
Early life and education
Cadieux was born in Montreal, Quebec. He studied at the Collège André Grasset, obtained a Master's degree in law from the Université de Montréal, and studied constitutional law at McGill University in Montreal.
Cadieux joined the Department of External Affairs in 1941, served as senior adviser to Canadian members of the International Control Commission in Vietnam in 1954, and became the legal advisor to the Department of External Affairs in 1956.
A professor of international law at the University of Ottawa, he was the first Canadian to sit on the United Nations International Law Commission. From 1964 to 1970, he was Under-Secretary of State for External Affairs.
Cadieux served on the negotiating committee to determine maritime boundaries with the United States. He was Canada's first francophone Ambassador to the United States from 1970 to 1975, and head of the Canadian Mission to the European Communities from 1975.
He was appointed to advise the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) in 1978. He also wrote several books on Canadian diplomacy.
In 1969, he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada.
He married Anita Comtois, and they had two sons.
- Janice Gross Stein. Diplomacy in the Digital Age: Essays in Honour of Ambassador Allan Gotlieb. Signal; 2011. ISBN 978-0-7710-8139-2. p. 38–.
- J. F. Bosher. The Gaullist Attack on Canada, 1967-1997. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP; 2000. ISBN 978-0-7735-2025-7. p. 87–88.
- Gary Evans. In the National Interest: A Chronicle of the National Film Board of Canada from 1949 to 1989. University of Toronto Press; 1991. ISBN 978-0-8020-6833-0. p. 110–.
- Pirouette: Pierre Trudeau and Canadian Foreign Policy. University of Toronto Press; 1991. ISBN 978-0-8020-6873-6. p. 16–.
- Robert Bothwell. Alliance and Illusion: Canada and the World, 1945-1984. UBC Press; 1 November 2011. ISBN 978-0-7748-4088-0. p. 377–.
- Trudeau’s World: Insiders Reflect on Foreign Policy, Trade, and Defence, 1968-84. UBC Press; 1 October 2017. ISBN 978-0-7748-3640-1. p. 73–.
- Arthur E. Blanchette. Canadian Peacekeepers in Indochina 1954-1973: Recollections. Dundurn; 1 September 2001. ISBN 978-0-919614-96-3. p. 175–.