|Alma mater||Institute of the Arts Arnhem, Design Academy Eindhoven|
|Known for||Knotted Chair ; Mondrian Hotel South Beach ; Moooi|
In 2000 he opened his studio in Amsterdam, gaining attention in 1996 with his Knotted Chair, which paired high tech materials with ‘low tech’ production methods. In 2001 Wanders co-founded the design label Moooi, of which he is co-owner and art director. In 2014 in Wanders works as product and interior designer and art director work in his Powerhouse studio with around 50 international design specialists. They have realized over 1700+ projects for private clients and premium brands such as Alessi, Louis Vuitton, Bacarrat, Bisazza, KLM, Flos, Swarovski, Puma, among others. The New York Times dubbed Wanders as the "Lady Gaga of Design" in 2011 for being unconventional, creative and full of energy. Many of his designs humanism and historical influences with innovative materials.
Wanders received various design prizes, including the Rotterdam Design Prize and the Kho Liang Ie Prize. He has lectured at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Limn, the Design Academy, Nike, IDFA, FutureDesignDays and at many of the world's most prestigious design academies. In July 2002 Business Week selected Marcel Wanders as one of Europe’s ’25 leaders of change’. Wanders is an Advisory Board member of THNK School of Creative Leadership.
Multi-layered interior projects have become increasingly important in Marcel’s work Notable projects to date include interior architecture for such as the Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, Kameha Grand hotel in Bonn, the Mondrian South Beach hotel in Miami, Quasar Istanbul Residences, and the Villa Moda flagship store in Bahrain, as well as private residences in Amsterdam and Mallorca.
In 2015, he was tapped by Revolution Precrafted to design a prefabricated house which he named Eden.
Many of Marcel Wanders' designs have been selected for design collections and exhibitions and feature in magazines. In 2006 he was elected International Designer of the Year by Elle Decoration. Marcel Wanders’ first solo-exhibition, ‘Daydreams,’ in 2009, featured in the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and his first major museum retrospective in 15 years is planned in January 2014 at Amsterdam’s Stedelijk Museum. In addition, Marcel regularly presents at the Salone del Mobile in Milan.
- Knotted Chair (1996)
- Egg Vase (1997)
- Snotty Vase (2001)
- V.I.P. Chair (2000)
- Carbon Chair (2004)
- Crochet Chubby Low Armchair (2006)
- Skygarden S1 (2007)
- Westerhuis, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2008)
- Mondrian South Beach, Miami, Florida, United States (2008)
- Villa Moda, Bahrain, (2009)
- Casa Son Vida, Palma, Mallorca, Spain (2009)
- Kameha Grand, Bonn, Germany (2009)
- COSME DECORTE 'AQMW' (Absolute Quality Miracle Wonder) Skin Care (2010)
- Monster Chair (2010)
- Tableware for KLM (2011)
- 'Dressed' tableware for Alessi (2011)
- Cosme Decorte 'AQMW' Absolute Quality Miracle Wonder)Makeup (2012)
- Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2012)
- Kameha Grand Zurich (2015)
- Chaise Longue (2015)
- Alessi Circus for Alessi (2016)
- Le Roi Soleil for Baccarat (2016)
- Jardin d’Eden Lighting Collection for Christofle (2016)
- Iberostar Portal Nous (2017)
- Mondrain Doha (2017)
- ‘Rocking Chair’ and ‘Diamond Screen’ for Louis Vuitton Objets Nomades Collection (2017)
- Quasar Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey (on-going)
- RAMUN Bella (In Collaboration with Alessandro Mendini, 2019)
Marcel Wanders is a product and interior design studio located in Amsterdam, with clients and brands such as Alessi, Baccarat, Bisazza, Christofle, KOSÉ/Cosme Decorté, Flos, KLM, Hyatt, LH&E Group, Louis Vuitton, Miramar Group, Moooi, Morgans Hotel Group, Puma, Swarovski among others.
- Wanders Wonders: Design for a New Age (1999) ISBN 90-6450-376-1
- Marcel Wanders: Behind The Ceiling (2009) ISBN 978-3-89955-234-8
- Marcel Wanders: Interiors (2011) ISBN 978-0-8478-3187-6
- Marcel Wanders: Pinned Up 25 Years of Design (2013)) ISBN 978-94-9172-728-3
- Bernardine Walrecht (2002). Homemade Holland: How Craft and Design Mix. Crafts Council (Great Britain).
- Marcel Wanders biography Archived 2 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine at marcelwanders.nl. Accessed 1 January 2014.
- Bradley Quinn (2010) Textile Futures: Fashion, Design and Technology. p. 185
- Mooit.com Accessed 1 January 2012
- "Innovative Luxury Lighting Designer".
- "Business Week". July 2002.
- "International Designer Marcel Wanders joins THNK Advisory Board - THNK". THNK. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- "Revolution Pre-Crafted Properties".
- de Roode, Ingeborg; Groot, Marjan (February 2014). Marcel Wanders Pinned Up 25 Years of Design. ASIN 9491727281.
- "Tableware by Marcel Wanders for KLM". 2 January 2012.
Media related to Marcel Wanders at Wikimedia Commons