Marcel Wanders, 2013
5 July 1963
|Alma mater||Institute of the Arts Arnhem, Design Academy Eindhoven|
Target Stores and many more
|Known for||Knotted Chair, Mondrian Hotel South Beach|
Marcel Wanders (2 July 1963) is a Dutch designer, and art director in the Powerhouse studio in Amsterdam, who designs architectural, interior and industrial projects. He became internationally known by his Knotted Chair.
In 2000 he opened his studio in Amsterdam, gaining attention in 1996 with his Knotted Chair, which paired high tech materials with ‘low tech’ production methods. In 2001 Wanders co-founded the design label Moooi, of which he is co-owner and art director. In 2014 in Wanders works as product and interior designer and art director work in his Powerhouse studio with around 50 international design specialists. They have realized over 1700+ projects for private clients and premium brands such as Alessi, Bisazza, KLM, Flos, Swarovski, Puma, among others.
Wanders received various design prizes, including the Rotterdam Design Prize (for which he has been nominated several times) and the Kho Liang Ie Prize. He has lectured at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Limn, the Design Academy, Nike, IDFA, FutureDesignDays and at many of the world's most prestigious design academies. In July 2002 Business Week selected Marcel Wanders as one of Europe’s ’25 leaders of change’. Wanders is an Advisory Board member of THNK School of Creative Leadership.
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Interior projects have become increasingly important in Marcel’s work, embraced for their enveloping of people in multi-layered, sensory experiences Notable projects to date include such iconic interior architectural concepts as the Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, Kameha Grand hotel in Bonn, the Mondrian South Beach hotel in Miami, Quasar Istanbul Residences, and the Villa Moda flagship store in Bahrain - to name but a few - as well as private residences in Amsterdam and Mallorca.
In 2015, he was tapped by Revolution Precrafted to design a prefabricated house which he named Eden.
Many of Marcel Wanders' designs have been selected for design collections and exhibitions and feature in magazines. In 2006 he was elected International Designer of the Year by Elle Decoration. Marcel Wanders’ first solo-exhibition, ‘Daydreams,’ in 2009, featured in the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and his first major museum retrospective in 15 years is planned in January 2014 at Amsterdam’s Stedelijk Museum. In addition, Marcel regularly presents at the Salone del Mobile in Milan.
Marcel Wanders is a product and interior design studio located in Amsterdam, with clients and brands such as Alessi, Baccarat, Bisazza, Christofle, KOSÉ/Cosme Decorté, Flos, KLM, Hyatt, LH&E Group, Louis Vuitton, Miramar Group, Moooi, Morgans Hotel Group, Puma, Swarovski among others.
- Knotted Chair (1996)
- Egg Vase (1997)
- Snotty Vase (2001)
- V.I.P. Chair (2000)
- Carbon Chair (2004)
- Crochet Chubby Low Armchair (2006)
- Skygarden S1 (2007)
- Westerhuis, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2008)
- Mondrian South Beach, Miami, Florida, United States (2008)
- Villa Moda, Bahrain, (2009)
- Casa Son Vida, Palma, Mallorca, Spain (2009)
- Kameha Grand, Bonn, Germany (2009)
- COSME DECORTE 'AQMW' (Absolute Quality Miracle Wonder) Skin Care (2010)
- Monster Chair (2010)
- Tableware for KLM (2011)
- 'Dressed' tableware for Alessi (2011)
- Cosme Decorte 'AQMW' Absolute Quality Miracle Wonder)Makeup (2012)
- Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2012)
- Kameha Grand Zurich (2015)
- Chaise Longue (2015)
- Alessi Circus for Alessi (2016)
- Le Roi Soleil for Baccarat (2016)
- Jardin d’Eden Lighting Collection for Christofle (2016)
- Iberostar Portal Nous (2017)
- Mondrain Doha (2017)
- ‘Rocking Chair’ and ‘Diamond Screen’ for Louis Vuitton Objets Nomades Collection (2017)
- Quasar Istanbul, Istambul, Turkey (on-going)
- Wanders Wonders: Design for a New Age (1999) ISBN 90-6450-376-1
- Marcel Wanders: Behind The Ceiling (2009) ISBN 978-3-89955-234-8
- Marcel Wanders: Interiors (2011) ISBN 978-0-8478-3187-6
- Marcel Wanders: Pinned Up 25 Years of Design (2013)) ISBN 978-94-9172-728-3
- Bernardine Walrecht (2002). Homemade Holland: How Craft and Design Mix. Crafts Council (Great Britain).
- Marcel Wanders biography at marcelwanders.nl. Accessed 1 January 2014.
- Bradley Quinn (2010) Textile Futures: Fashion, Design and Technology. p. 185
- Mooit.com Accessed 1 January 2012
- "Business Week". July 2002. Missing or empty
- "International Designer Marcel Wanders joins THNK Advisory Board - THNK". THNK. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Marcel Wanders Pinned Up 25 Years of Design". February 2014. Missing or empty
- "Tableware by Marcel Wanders for KLM". 2 January 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marcel Wanders.|