Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
|Marcel the Shell with Shoes On|
|Directed by||Dean Fleischer-Camp|
|Produced by||Dean Fleischer-Camp|
|Written by||Jenny Slate |
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On is a stop-motion animated short film about Marcel, an anthropomorphic seashell outfitted with a single googly eye and a pair of miniature shoes. It is a collaboration between director Dean Fleischer-Camp and writer/actress Jenny Slate.
The film premiered theatrically at AFI FEST 2010, where it was awarded Best Animated Short and was an official selection of the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. It won the Grand Jury and Audience Awards at the New York International Children's Film Festival.
The concept of the film is that Marcel is being interviewed in his home by a documentary filmmaker. Responding to off-camera questions, Marcel speaks about his activities, hobbies, hopes, and disappointments. The film is edited to resemble rough cut footage.
A sequel, "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Two", was posted to YouTube on 14 November 2011. The third installation, "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Three", was posted to YouTube on 20 October 2014. The sequels were accompanied by two tie-in storybooks featuring Marcel. Slate and Fleischer-Camp announced in 2014 that they planned to create a longer film about the character in the future.
- Marcel - A cute and friendly shell.
- Documentarian - An anonymous filmmaker, heard interjecting occasionally to prompt Marcel. According to Marcel, "the community" has given him the nickname "Windy".
- "Dean Fleischer-Camp / director / editor". Archived from the original on July 18, 2011.
- "Exclusive: 'SNL' star Jenny Slate chats about 'Marcel the Shell'". Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Jenny Slate on 'Bored to Death,' 'Marcel the Shell,' and Life After 'SNL'". Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "AFI FEST: Audience and Jury Awards announced". Incontention.com. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- Willmore, Alison (2013-10-23). "Jenny Slate Talks Plans for a 'Marcel the Shell' Feature, Living in Los Angeles and Playing Mean Girls on TV in 'Hello Ladies'". IndieWire. Penske Media Corporation.
- Strike, Joe (2011-04-05). "Review: 2011 The New York International Children's Film Festival". Animation World Network.
- "A (Mostly) Clean Slate - Page - Interview Magazine". Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- Perpetua, Matthew (2011-11-15). "'Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Two' Jenny Slate's latest adorable short film". Rolling Stone.
- Barness, Sarah (2014-10-20). "'Marcel the Shell with Shoes On' Is Back, and He's Got Allergies". The Huffington Post. AOL.
- Dean Fleischer-Camp; Jenny Slate (2014-10-21). The Most Surprised I've Ever Been. Penguin Group USA. ISBN 978-1-59514-456-0.
- Wickman, Kase (2014-06-24). "Yes, There's Going To Be A 'Marcel The Shell' Movie. And It Will Have Songs In It". MTV News. Viacom.