|The Most Reverend
|Bishop of Albano|
|Appointed||1 October 2004|
|Other posts||Secetary of the Council of Cardinals|
|Ordination||8 September 1971|
|Consecration||29 September 1998
by Cosmo Francesco Ruppi
|Born||22 December 1947|
|Previous post||Bishop of Oria (1998-2004)|
|Coat of arms|
Semeraro was born in Monteroni di Lecce, Province of Lecce, Italy. He was ordained to the priesthood on 8 September 1971. He received his Doctor of Theology degree in 1980 from the Pontifical Lateran University. On 25 July 1998 he was named Bishop of Oria. He was consecrated on 29 September 1998 by Archbishop Cosmo Francesco Ruppi with Archbishop Domenico Caliandro and Archbishop Donato Negro as co-consecrators.
He taught at the Pontifical Lateran University in 2001. Pope John Paul II chose him as Special Secretary of the Tenth General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, which considered the role of the bishops in contemporary society. That Synod's final statement pointed to social injustice as the root cause of terrorism and decried third world debt and "the enduring drama of hunger and extreme poverty". Semeraro commented: "There is a strong will to dismantle the image of bishops as men of power and to reinstitute the image of bishops as men of service."
On 1 October 2004 he was named Bishop of Albano.
He is a Consultant to the Congregation for the Clergy and the Italian Episcopal Conference (IEC), and a member of the IEC Commission for the Doctrine of the Faith. On 16 January 2007, he spoke as a member of the IEC Commission for the Doctrine of the Faith, preaching and conducting a seminar on the theme "first announcement".
On 4 May 2007 he was elected president of the administrative board of the IEC newspaper Avvenire, in place of the Cardinal Archbishop Angelo Bagnasco of Genoa, who had been elected president of the IEC.
In June 2010, he became president of the IEC Commission for the Doctrine of the Faith.
On 13 April 2013 Pope Francis appointed him secretary of the commission of cardinals appointed to advise him on the government of the universal Church and to consider revisions to the organization of the Roman Curia.
On 4 November 2013, Bishop Semeraro was appointed by Pope Francis as Apostolic Administrator ad nutum Sanctae Sedis of the Exarchic Monastery and Territorial Abbey of Santa Maria di Grottaferrata.
- (Italian) Mistero, comunione e missione - Manuale di ecclesiologia (Bologna, 2004)
- (Italian) Dalla Parte del Padre (Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2010)
- "X Ordinary General Assembly (30 September-27 October 2001)". Synod of Bishops. Holy See. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- Henneberger, Melinda (28 October 2001). "Social Justice And Terror Offer Bishops Tough Issue". New York Times. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- O'Connell, Gerard (14 April 2013). "Pope Francis sets up a group of eight cardinals to advise him". La Stampa: Vatican Insider. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Nota al testo di M. Semeraro, "Mistero, comunione e missione"" (in Italian). La Casa di Miriam Torino. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Dalla Parte del Padre" (in Italian). Libreria del Santo. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Albano Laziale
1 October 2004 – present
|Bishop of Oria
25 July 1998 – 1 October 2004