University of São Paulo |
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|Known for||digital art wearables|
Marcelo Coelho is a Brazilian computation artist and designer. His work focuses on the boundaries between matter and computation, and includes interactive installations, photography, wearables, and robotics. Coelho is currently a Research Affiliate at the MIT Media Lab and creative director at Marcelo Coelho Studio, an anti-disciplinary studio dedicated to technically innovative and experimental work based in Boston, MA.
Coelho makes objects, installations, and live experiences that challenges people's perception of material properties and behaviors. Many of his works use techniques and concepts from composites, digital fabrication and programmable matter.
In Sandcastles, Coelho collaborated with artist Vik Muniz to etch drawings of castles originally created with a camera lucida onto grains of sand, using a focused ion beam and scanning electron microscope. 
In Hyperform, Coelho developed a chandelier that is assembled from a single 3D printed chain, and where the assembly information is encoded in the material itself.
Awards and Exhibits
Coelho's work has been exhibited at Ars Electronica in Linz, Austria, the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., Design Miami in Basel, Switzerland, and the Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire, England.
Coelho's work has won awards including the Vida 16 award from Fundacion Telefónica, the Designer of the Future Award from Design Miami, an Honorary Mention for Interactive Art  and [the next idea] voestalpine Art and Technology Grant from Ars Electronica.
- "Materials of Interaction: responsive materials in the design of transformable interactive surfaces". Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- "Materializing Interaction". Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Killeen, Meghan. "Marcelo Coelho: Stunning Explorations in physical interface design from an MIT Media Lab student". Cool Hunting.
- "That's a beautiful code". Financial Times.
- "Digital play exhibition offers marvels for kids and grown-ups alike". The Globe and Mail.
- "Microscopic castles etched onto grains of sand". Wired.co.uk.
- "Creating Sand Castles With A Single Grain Of Sand". The Creators Project.
- "A Chandelier That Can Practically Assemble Itself". Fast Company.
- "Premiados VIDA 16.0". Telefonica Fundacion.
- "W Hotels Designers of the Future at Design Miami/Basel 2010". Dezeen Magazine.
- "CYBERARTS 11: Prix Ars Electronica Exhibition". Offenes Kulturhaus.
- Sterling, Bruce. "Winners of the Ars Electronica prize 2013". Wired.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marcelo Coelho.|