This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
February 3, 1958
Marci Liroff (born February 3, 1958) is a casting director, based in Los Angeles, California, known for her work in film and television. Liroff has worked with some of the most successful directors in the world such as Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Mark Waters, Christopher Nolan, Brad Bird, and Herbert Ross.
After attending the University of Denver, Liroff began her career in 1977 as an assistant to the VP of International Distribution for Dimension Pictures, where she learned about the marketing, sales and distribution of films—especially blaxploitation films (Black Shampoo, Dolemite, Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde, Dixie Dynamite – and assisted in selling the rights to such pictures all over the world.
A year later, Liroff became the assistant to a prominent television agent at International Creative Management (ICM) in Los Angeles. While there, Liroff placed ICM clients on such shows as Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, WKRP in Cincinnati, Soap, Barney Miller, All in the Family, and Maude.
In 1979, Liroff started working with casting directors Mike Fenton and Jane Feinberg (Fenton-Feinberg Casting) who were famed for casting such classic films as, American Graffiti, Chinatown, Young Frankenstein, The Godfather Part II, Shampoo, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Liroff started as Fenton's assistant and worked on movies such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, and History of the World, Part I. She quickly rose through the ranks to earn credit as a casting director on such films as, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Porky's, Poltergeist, Blade Runner, A Christmas Story, and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
It was then that Marci Liroff Casting was born. In following years, Liroff would go on to cast such films as St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, The Cutting Edge, Mannequin, Jack Frost, The Iron Giant, Insomnia, Freaky Friday, Gothika, Mean Girls, The Spiderwick Chronicles , "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" and most recently, Mr. Popper's Penguins. She associate-produced and cast Untamed Heart and The Crush, and co-produced and cast The Spitfire Grill, which won the "Audience Award" at The Sundance Film Festival in 1996.
In 2009, Liroff started private coaching of actors and created an Audition Boot Camp, in which she teaches the fundamentals of auditioning.
Liroff is also a writer for Backstage Magazine.
- "The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences"
- "The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences"
- "Teamsters 399"
- "Casting Society of America" National Board Member
- "Magic Camp" (2017)
- "Myrna" (2015)
- "The Sublime and Beautiful" (2014)
- "Vampire Academy" (2014)
- "Mr. Popper's Penguins" (2010)
- Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009)
- The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008)
- Full of It (2007)
- Just Like Heaven (2005)
- Land of the Dead (2005)
- New York Minute (2004)
- Mean Girls (2004)
- View from the Top (2003)
- Gothika (2003)
- Freaky Friday (2003)
- Insomnia (2002)
- Hardball (2001)
- Summer Catch (2001)
- Cats & Dogs (2001)
- Ready to Rumble (2000)
- The Iron Giant (1999)
- Jack Frost (1998)
- The Spitfire Grill (1996)
- The Tie That Binds (1995)
- It Runs in the Family (1994)
- The Crush (1993)
- Untamed Heart (1993)
- FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992)
- The Cutting Edge (1992)
- Eve of Destruction (1991)
- Sibling Rivalry (1990)
- Men at Work (1990)
- Coupe de Ville (1990)
- Cousins (1989)
- The Experts (1989)
- Hearts of Fire (1987)
- You Ruined My Life (1987)
- Siesta (1987)
- Mannequin (1987)
- Pretty in Pink (1986)
- Legend (1985)
- St. Elmo's Fire (1985)
- Return to Oz (1985)
- Mischief (1985)
- Johnny Dangerously (1984)
- The Ratings Game (1984)
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
- Footloose (1984)
- A Christmas Story (1983)
- Running Brave (1983)
- All the Right Moves (1983)
- Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
- Porky's II: The Next Day (1983)
- Best Friends (1982)
- Kiss Me Goodbye (1982)
- Porky's (1982)
- Endangered Species (1982)
- Six Weeks (1982)
- Blade Runner (1982)
- Poltergeist (1982)
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- The Paul Reiser Show (TV pilot) (2010)
- Atlanta (TV pilot) (2007)
- The Strip (1999)
- Dellaventura (TV pilot) (1997)
- The Spitfire Grill (1996) (co-producer)
- The Crush (1993) (associate producer)
- Untamed Heart (1993) (associate producer)
- Marci Liroff – Official Website
- Marci Liroff – Internet Movie Data Base
- Inside Acting Podcast & Video –
- Backstage Interview "Where Do We Find Talent?"
- Backstage Interview "Audition Tips"
- Brains of Minerva – "Auditioning for Comedy"
- Backstage Interview – "How to Self-Tape Your Audition"
- Backstage Interview – "Actors Casting Directors Love"
- Backstage Interview "Using Facebook, Twitter and YouTube"
- Backstage – Video Interview
- Backstage interview – Headshot Panel Gets Heated
- ActorCast Blog
- E! Hollywood True Story – Mean Girls
- Marci Liroff's ongoing advice columns on Backstage.com