Marcis Liors Skadmanis
Mārcis Liors Skadmanis
|Residence||Fitzroy Square, Fitzrovia, London, United Kingdom|
|Alma mater||Turība University (LL.M.), (LL.B.), (Hon. Causa.)|
Oxford University Department for Continuing Education
|Occupation||Founder, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist|
|Known for||Founder of World NGO Day 27 February – an international calendar day|
|Relatives||Daina Skadmane (sister)|
Anda Skadmane (sister)
Maija Skadmane (sister)
Rūta Skadmane (sister)
Mārcis Liors Skadmanis FRSA (born Mārcis Skadmanis; 29 May 1984), is a Latvian-born UK entrepreneur, philanthropist and Founder of the international calendar day for Non-governmental organizations – World NGO Day, annually observed on 27 February. Today, it is marked in 89 countries across six continents of the globe.
Early years and education
The oldest of five children, Mārcis Skadmanis was born on 29 May 1984 in Riga, the capital city of Latvia. Mārcis's father Jānis Skadmanis and his youngest sister Daina Skadmane lost their lives in the Zolitūde shopping centre roof collapse on 21 November 2013, when in total 54 people died as a result of the accident.
In 2003, he achieved a gold medal at the 9th Latvian Environmental Project Olympiad, held annually in Latvia since 1995. The same year, he achieved a diploma at the 11th International Environmental Project Olympiad (INEPO) in Istanbul, Turkey. INEPO is a yearly international competition related to sustainability and the environment.
His other achievements include being awarded the Society Unity Prize ‘For Contribution to Promoting Equal Opportunities’, for which he currently remains the youngest ever recipient at the age of 23.
In 2008, Skadmanis graduated from Turība University’s Faculty of Law, and he is both a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) and a Master of Laws (LL.M.), in addition to holding a Certificate of Social Entrepreneurship, Oxford University, Department for Continuing Education, 2017.
Skadmanis worked as a lawyer for the law firms Blueger & Plaude and Begum & Co Solicitors, (2008–2011) London, United Kingdom. He also provided regular market briefings titled "Doing business" to the World Bank. In 2009, he received the Certificate of Appreciation for contribution of market briefings to Getting Electricity: A pilot indicator set from the Doing Business Project, the World Bank and IFC – International Finance Corporation. Skadmanis was the Trustee of the Latvian-British Chamber of Commerce, with a headquarters in Bristol, South West England.
In 2016 Skadmanis received an Honorary Degree (Hon. Causa), awarded by Turība University, for his outstanding contribution to International Relations and Multinational Economic Business Development.
In 2017 he was awarded the Fellowship of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA), the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce. Currently, Skadmanis is the board member of the enterprises in the UK and abroad.
World NGO Day
It was in the midst of the global and Eurozone financial crisis of 2009, when Marcis was just 24, his determination to improve the lives of the world’s citizens led him to establish World NGO Day. This international day was designed to recognise the NGO sector’s importance, value to society and all the individuals involved worldwide, that dedicate their time to their cause.
Officially recognised and declared by the 12 member countries of the IX Baltic Sea NGO Forum of the Council of the Baltic Sea States in 2010. A year later, Ms Sung-Joo Kim, the founder of MCM Worldwide, became the initiative’s first Goodwill Ambassador. In March 2012 he was able to further raise awareness by holding a round table at the UK House of Commons (UK Parliament) and introductory Meeting at UNESCO, and introductory event at the British Embassy in Finland. In September of the same year, he hosted the first World NGO Leadership Meeting at the House of Lords, working alongside Lord Lyndon Harrison
In 2013, Marcis experienced a tragic loss just three months before the global World NGO day's first official marking ceremony, Marcis’ father and younger sister lost their lives in a Zolitūde shopping centre roof collapse. The event shocked the world after the roof collapsed on 21 November 2013, in which 54 people died as a result of the tragedy.
On 27 February 2014, hundreds of NGOs and the UN, UNESCO, Nordic Council, EU and international leaders gathered in Helsinki, the capital of Finland, to celebrate and mark the first World NGO Day – hosted by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
Each year, World NGO Day is celebrated from New Zealand and Australia, to the North and South Americas, bringing together supporters from the NGO sector, international and government leaders, multi and bilateral organisations, private sectors, communities, teachers, learners and experts in the field. It was marked in 89 countries, six continents between 2010–2018.
In 2018, Skadmanis was recognised in "Philanthropists under 40" list 2018 (international), by the United States based "PeopleMaven" – world’s largest people database agency. Skadmanis has been supporting the NGO and Charity community and promotes the NGO sector importance among the younger generation and international society. For last few years Marcis has been advising and consulting leaders, on how to mark World NGO Day (27 Feb) to effectively engage with civil society, empower the NGO community locally, nationally or internationally.
- "Bank of America – A First Step for Small Businesses Wanting to Support a Social Cause". bankofamerica.com. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "World NGO Day, Feb. 27, was established by a millennial entrepreneur". globalyoungvoices.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Philanthropists under 40 by PeopleMaven". peoplemaven.com. Retrieved 2018-11-11.
- "Alliance Magazine: Inspiration and collaboration: thoughts on the creation of a 'World NGO Day'". alliancemagazine.org. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "International community celebrates World NGO Day". baltic-course.com. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "The rise of NGOs in Latvia – interview with World NGO Day founder". aid-expo.com. Retrieved 2018-05-13.
- "The Baltic Times: Latvia observes day of mourning, rescuers carry out last ditch mission". baltictimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "The Baltic Times: Riga mourns Maxima roof collapse victims". baltictimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "ZVĢ Grammar School of Nordic Languages". zvg.lv. Retrieved 2012-11-10.
- "2006. / 2007. ceremony". Sif.gov.lv. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "Winners". Sif.gov.lv. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "Turība University: Absolventi". turiba.lv. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Global Property Guide: Inheritance tax and law". globalpropertyguide.com. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- "Doing Business 2010, World Bank" (PDF). doingbusiness.org. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "Comparing Regulation in 183 economies, World Bank". openknowledge.worldbank.org. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "A Pilot Study by the Doing Business Project, World Bank". doingbusiness.org. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "The Latvian Foreign Minister and representatives of the Latvian-British Chamber of Commerce discuss cooperation in 2016". mfa.gov.lv/en. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "The Awards Ceremony of Turiba University Annual Awards". turiba.lv/en. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- "The RSA Fellowship". thersa.org. Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- "Interview with World NGO Day founder". aid-expo.com. Retrieved 2018-05-13.
- "Aid Forum: World NGO Day". aidforum.org. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "The Baltic Times: World NGO Day 2014 Forum". baltictimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- "FINNBAY: World NGO Day – International Celebration And Recognition". finnbay.com. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "First World NPO Day and Sung-Joo Kim". balticnews.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- "World NGO Day Discussions at the House of Commons, UK parliament". balticnews.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "UK House of Commons introduces the World NGO Day". flickr.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "700k euros raised for supermarket tragedy victims, funerals held for rescue officers today". baltictimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "The French Institute supports "The WORLD NGO DAY 2014 FORUM"". france.fi. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- "Helen Clark on World NGO Day, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- "Helen Clark on World NGO Day". wn.com. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- "Mr Jan Mattsson, former Executive Director, UNOPS". unops.org. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Speech by UNOPS Executive Director Jan Mattsson on World NGO Day" (PDF). unops.org. Retrieved 2012-03-20.
- "Finland Times". finlandtimes.fi. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Finland Times: Minister Haavisto urges NGOs to ensure quality services". finlandtimes.fi. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Finland Times: World NGO Day 2014 Forum begins in Helsinki". finlandtimes.fi. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "University of Jyväskylä: World NGO day 27–28.2 Helsingissä". jyu.fi. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- "FINNBAY: Minister For International Development Pekka Haavisto And Finland Empowering NGOs And Civil Society Worldwide". finnbay.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Statement on the occasion of the World NGO Day 2017". eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Philanthropists under 40 by PeopleMaven". peoplemaven.com. Retrieved 2018-11-11.
- "Mārcis Liors Skadmanis parakstījis Taičungas "GNP" deklarāciju". turiba.lv. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- "Finland Times: World NGO Day 2014 Forum begins in Helsinki today". finlandtimes.fi. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- "亞洲魔法少女電力營霧峰INGO中心登場 邀亞洲女孩人權獎得主起倡議女力". taichung2019.com. Retrieved 2018-08-27.
- "Islamabad: 'NGO Day' observed". thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- Mr Skadmanis meeting with Dr. William F. Shija, Secretary- General of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association
- Mr Skadmanis's video speech at the first commemoration of the World NGO Day in Helsinki, Finland
- Mr Skadmanis at the Round Table discussion at the House of Commons of the United Kingdom, UK Parliament