|Men's Alpine Skiing|
|1999 Vail||Giant Slalom|
Marco Büchel (born 4 November 1971 in Walenstadt, Switzerland) is a retired alpine ski racer from Liechtenstein. He participated in a record-tying six Winter Olympics, starting in 1992 and ending in 2010.
On 18 January 2008, Büchel won a World Cup Super-G race at Kitzbühel, and set a then record as the oldest winner of a World Cup race at the age of 36 years, 75 days. This has since been surpassed by Didier Cuche, who won a downhill race at the same location on 22 January 2011 to set a new record as the oldest winner of a World Cup race; the following 13 months Cuche extended this record 6 times, finally with his last career victory in the Super-G of Crans Montana on 24 February 2012 to 37 years, 192 days.
Büchel retired following the Super-G race at Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Germany) on 11 March 2010. He celebrated his last race by racing not in the regular catsuit but by wearing a tuxedo with black Bermuda shorts. As he skied down the course, Büchel slowed down many times to "high-five" various trainers.
He had also appeared on the Amazing Race 18 as contestants had to give him the correct answer for calculating the Length of Liechtenstein.
During his retirement, Büchel frequents South Florida, where he has many American friends.
- World Cup
- 2003: 2nd in Super-G
- World Championships
- 1999: Silver Medal in Giant slalom
- Swiss Championships
- 1999/2000: Champion in Downhill, Giant Slalom, Combination
- 2000/2001: Champion in Parallel Slalom
World Cup victories
|13 February 2003||Garmisch-Partenkirchen||Super-G|
|17 December 2005||Val Gardena||Downhill|
|25 November 2006||Lake Louise||Downhill|
|18 January 2008||Kitzbühel||Super-G|
- "Triumphant Didier Cuche sets age mark". ESPN.com. ESPN. Associated Press. 22 January 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- "FIS results for Didier Cuche (top 3 results only)". fis-ski.com. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- OL-floka, 1994 Winter Olympics at Lillehammer
- Buechel Marks Last Appearance in a World Cup Race
|Flagbearer for Liechtenstein
Salt Lake City 2002
- Marco-Buechel.li - official site
|This biographical article relating to sports in Liechtenstein is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to alpine skiing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|