Marco Bizzarri in 2018
|Born||19 August 1962|
|Years active||1986 – present|
|Title||President and CEO of Gucci|
|Board member of||Kering Executive Committee|
Marco Bizzarri (born 19 August 1962 in Reggio Emilia, Italy) is an Italian businessman, President and CEO of Gucci since January 2015. He previously was the President and CEO of Stella McCartney (2005-2009) and Bottega Veneta (2009-2014), and joined Kering’s Executive Committee in 2012.
Marco Bizzarri started his career as a consultant at the financial advisory firm Accenture in 1986. In 1993, he joined the Bologna-based Mandarina Duck group, and later became CEO of the group. In 2004, he became general manager of the designer brand Marithé et François Girbaud.
CEO of Kering’s brands
In 2005, Marco Bizzarri was named CEO of Stella McCartney. Under his management, the company turned a profit for the first time in 2007. He developed a lifestyle-oriented brand and drove its international development, including the opening of a store in Japan in 2008.
In January 2009, Marco Bizzarri became the president and CEO of Bottega Veneta. Amid a global economic downturn, he rapidly changed the distribution of the brand, repositioning it in Europe, and worked on a less conservative buying, thus relieving financial stress and enabling new investments. In 4 years, alongside creative director Tomas Maier, Marco Bizzarri maintained Bottega Veneta’s edge for Italian-made leather craftsmanship, drove growth in Asia, opened a flagship store in Milan, and new eco-friendly headquarters in Vicenza. In 2012, Bottega Veneta’s sales reached the $1 billion mark.
Head of Gucci
In December 2014, Kering named Marco Bizzarri CEO of its flagship luxury brand Gucci. His first move was to name a 12-year Gucci member of the creative team, Alessandro Michele, creative director of the brand, who successfully managed to renew the brand’s proposition and popularity with a «geek chic» approach.
Credited for the quick turnaround of Gucci’s profitability, Marco Bizzarri stopped the brand’s markdown policy, favored cross-gendered collections and unified fashion shows and banned the use of fur by the brand. Gucci also amplified its digital strategy to grow its customer-base on social networks.
- 2017, 2016: International Business Leader at the Fashion Awards
- 2017: Knight of the Legion of Honour (France)
- 2017: WWD Edward Nardoza Honor for CEO Creative Leadership
- 2017 : Most Creative People in Business by Fast Company
- 2015: Humanitarian of the Year award by the United Nations Association
- 2018: Business Leader for Gucci by The Fashion Awards 2018
- Gucci hires Marco Bizzarri as new brand head, creative director Frida Giannini quits, Straitstimes.com, 12 December 2014
- (in French) Marco Bizzarri, Lesechos.fr, 24 November 2004
- (in Italian) Stella McCartney nomina Marco Bizzarri nuovo ad, Pambianconews.com
- Stella McCartney posts first ever profit, Marieclaire.co.uk, 3 November 2007
- Paul Mcinnes, Misha Janette, Stella in Ginza, Japantimes.co.uk, 11 March 2008
- Stella McCartney poaches Lanvin director as CEO, Reuters.com, 1 December 2008
- Bag-maker’s value proposition tilts to timeless pieces, Ft.com, 1 January 2000
- Manoj Nair, Bottega Veneta time-crafted strategy pays off, Gulfnews.com, 25 November 2013
- Bottega Veneta’s Understated Luxury Appeals to China’s Sophisticated Fashionistas, Red-luxury.com, 26 June 2012
- Roger Scoble, Bottega Veneta Opens Largest Flagship Store In Milan, Pursuitist.com
- Nikki Hess, Bottega Veneta’s New, Eco-Friendly Headquarters, Mamasarollingstone.com, 18 November 2013
- Suleman Anaya, Bottega Veneta Crosses the $1 Billion Mark, Businessoffashion.com, 22 February 2013
- Sophie Doran, The Latest Appointments: Givenchy, Jil Sander & Yves Saint Laurent, Luxurysociety.com, 20 March 2012
- Anthony DeMarco, Kering Reorganizes To Focus On Luxury Goods, Forbes.com, 29 April 2014
- Kering’s Marco Bizzarri has the billion-euro touch, Ft.com, 11 May 2014
- Imran Amed, Reinventing Gucci, Businessoffashion.com, 22 September 2015
- Gillian Brett, Gucci's Big Plans Revealed, Vogue.co.uk, 6 June 2016
- Marion Hume, How Gucci's makeover man Marco Bizzarri resurrected the brand, Afr.com, 31 May 2016
- Limei Hoang, Marco Bizzarri on Gucci’s Remarkable Turnaround, Businessoffashion.com, 27 October 2016
- Vanessa Friedman, Gucci Calls for End to Separation of the Sexes on the Runway, Nytimes.com, 5 April 2016
- Gucci Announces It Will Be Going Fur-Free, Vogue.co.uk, 11 October 2017
- Michael Beach, Gucci offers digital marketing, company culture inspiration, Inma.org, 19 June 2017
- Matthew Dalton, Gucci Adds Sparkle to Kering Results, Wsj.com, 10 February 2017
- Harriet Agnew, Pinault looks ahead at Louis Vuitton as Gucci grows, Ft.com, 13 February 2018
- 2017 Winners, Fashionawards.com
- Samantha Conti, Gucci, Demna Gvasalia Big Winners at Fashion Awards 2016 in London, Wwd.com, 5 December 2016
- Sandra Salibian, Marco Bizzarri to Receive French Legion of Honor, Wwd.com, 6 June 2017
- Luisa Zargani, Marco Bizzarri Receives WWD Edward Nardoza Honor for CEO Creative Leadership, Wwd.com, 24 October 2017
- Rose Pastore, >Be Inspired By These Creative Leaders Who Are Changing The World, Fastcompany.com, 24 January 2017
- Leigh Nordstrom, Gucci’s Marco Bizzarri Honored at the United Nations Humanitarian Dinner, Wwd.com, 23 October 2015
- "The Fashion Awards 2018: The Winners". Vogue. Retrieved 10 December 2018.