|Born||November 20, 1971|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Genres||Experimental music, electronic music, Electroacoustic music acousmatic music|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, Guitarist, Composer, Instructor|
|Years active||1992 - Present|
|Labels||OKS Recordings of North America, Bridge Records, Inc., Spectropol Records, Mutable Music, Capstone Records, Tzadik Records, EM Records (Japan)|
Marco Oppedisano (born November 20, 1971 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American guitarist and composer whose compositions focus on the innovative use of electric guitar in the genre of electroacoustic music. His musique concrète/acousmatic music compositions have utilized multitrack recording and extended performance techniques for electric guitar, nylon string guitar and electric bass. In addition to musique concrète, compositions by Oppedisano also consist of "live" electric guitar in combination with a fixed playback of various electronic, acoustic (specifically female voice courtesy of Kimberly Fiedelman) and sampled sounds.
Oppedisano has also composed works for solo classical guitar, solo electric guitar and mixed ensemble.
Oppedisano began playing guitar at the age of 12 and was primarily a rock guitarist before entering studies at the Brooklyn College Conservatory of Music. After two years of classical guitar study with Michael Cedric Smith at Brooklyn College, he completed composition studies there with Tania Leon, Charles Dodge, Noah Creshevsky (Hyperrealism (music)) and George Brunner.
From 1999-2003, as a member of the Brooklyn College Electroacoustic Ensemble, Oppedisano used the facility at the Brooklyn College Center for Computer Music (BC-CCM) to create his electroacoustic works focusing on sounds derived only from electric guitar and electric bass. From 2003–present, Oppedisano has exclusively worked out of his home recording studio in Queens, NY.
Since 2002, he has also had ensemble works performed by the New York City Classical Guitar Orchestra, Fireworks Ensemble, Glass Farm Ensemble, Brooklyn College Percussion Ensemble (directed by Morris Lang), Zyryab Guitar Quartet and solo guitar compositions performed by Kevin R. Gallagher and Oren Fader. As a guitarist he has performed in compositions by notable composers/guitarists, Nick Didkovsky and Glenn Branca.
Oppedisano presently lives in Forest Hills, Queens with his wife Kimberly Fiedelman and daughter, Jillian Maisie Oppedisano (b.July 2010).
- Resolute - Spectropol Records - (2015: SpecT - 37)
- Mechanical Uprising - OKS Recordings of North America - (2010: OKSRNA - 019)
- The Ominous Corner - OKS Recordings of North America - (2008: OKSRNA - 016)
- Tesla at Coney Island with David Lee Myers - OKS Recordings of North America - (2008: OKSRNA - 017)
- Electroacoustic Compositions for Electric Guitar - OKS Recordings of North America - (2007: OKSRNA - 007)
- Hyperrealist Music, 2011-2015, Noah Creshevsky (2015: EM Records (Japan) EM1140CD)
- Dreamshatterer 3, Dreamshatterer (2014) (Recording Engineer and Performer)
- "111811 (MO Remix)," Imperfect Forms - The Music of Kenneth Kirschner Remixed (2014)
- The Four Seasons, Noah Creshevsky (2013: Tzadik Records - 8097)
- $100 Guitar Project, "Red Cent," Various Artists (2013: Bridge Records, Inc.: BRIDGE 9381A/B)
- Axe, "Fractured Sky," Various Artists (2012: Spectropol Records: SpekT 12)
- Post-Minimalism: 4 Countries/19 Composers, "Steel Sky," Various Artists (2007:Trace Label (France): Trace 024 / 2CD)
- First Flight, "Primo Volo," Oren Fader (2005) (also Producer, Editor and Mastering Engineer)
- Vox Novus 2003 60x60, "The End is Near," Various Artists (2004: Capstone Records: CPS-8744)
- Hyperrealism, "Hoodlum Priest (with Thomas Buckner)," Noah Creshevsky (2003: Mutable Music: 17516-2)
- Stepping Forward (excerpt), Masters Degree thesis (Bern University of The Arts, May 2016) by Francesca Naibo
- Visionary Guitars: Chatting With Guitarists (Andrea Aguzzi, March 2016 - ISBN 978-1326586935) by Andrea Aguzzi
- State of The Axe: Guitar Masters in Photographs and Words (Museum Fine Arts Houston, October 2008 - ISBN 978-0300142112) by Ralph Gibson
Selected Interviews and Reviews
- "Marco Oppedisano, Resolute," Prepared Guitar, December 3, 2015
- "Interview with Marco Oppedisano," Tokafi, October 22, 2014
- "101 Essential Names in Modern Guitar through 101 Interviews," Prepared Guitar Blog, April 26, 2014
- "Interview with Marco Oppedisano," Guitar Moderne, August 25, 2013
- "A Generic Guitar Inspires a Distinctive Project," New York Times, April 2, 2013 (in photo - far left, rear)
- "Interview with Marco Oppedisano," Guitar-Muse, October 12, 2012
- Review of Mechanical Uprising by Massimo Ricci, Touching Extremes, April 11, 2011
- Reviews of Electroacoustic Compositions for Electric Guitar, The Ominous Corner, Mechanical Uprising and Tesla at Coney Island by Mark S. Tucker, FAME, December 2010, FAME, March 2011
- Reviews by François Couture, Monsieur Délire, December 20, 2010
- Review of Mechanical Uprising by Tobias Fischer, Tokafi, September 15, 2010