Venice Marco Polo Airport
Venice Marco Polo Airport
Aeroporto di Venezia Marco Polo
Aeroporto di Venezia-Tessera
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||7 ft / 2 m|
Venice Marco Polo Airport (IATA: VCE, ICAO: LIPZ) is the international airport of Venice, Italy. It is located on the mainland 4.3 nautical miles (8.0 kilometres; 4.9 miles) north of the city in Tessera, a Frazione of the Comune of Venice nearest to Mestre. Due to the importance of Venice as a leisure destination, it features flights to many European metropolitan areas as well as some partly seasonal long-haul routes to the United States, Canada and the Middle East. The airport handled 11,184,608 passengers in 2018, making it the fourth busiest airport in Italy. The airport is named after Marco Polo and serves as a base for Volotea and easyJet.
A modern terminal was opened in 2002, but it is already at full capacity. The airport is managed by SAVE S.p.A., a company partially owned by local authorities that also controls the smaller Treviso Airport, dedicated mainly to low-cost carriers. The airport was named after the Venetian traveller Marco Polo, whose travelogue introduced Central Asia and China to Europeans.
The airport terminal has three floors: the ground floor for arrivals and the second floor for departures. The departure area has 70 check-in desks and has two lounges airside for customers. The two departure lounges are the "Tintoretto Lounge" for SkyTeam customers and the "Marco Polo Room" for customers of all other companies. The third floor of the terminal has offices for the operating company and airlines. The departure gates area is separated for Schengen and non-Schengen flights.
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines operate regular scheduled and charter flights to and from Venice:
The airport is connected to the nearby railway station of Venice Mestre and to the bus terminal of Piazzale Roma in Venice by scheduled bus services; to several destinations in Venice itself by the Alilaguna water shuttle (Blue, Red and Orange lines); and to Piazza San Marco by the express Gold Line or water taxi. From the airport it is possible to reach:
- Venice Piazzale Roma by ATVO (provincial company) buses and by ACTV (city company) buses (route 5 aerobus);
- Venice, Lido and Murano by Alilaguna (private company) motorboats;
- Mestre, the mainland and Venice Mestre railways station (convenient for connections to Milan, Padua, Trieste, Verona and the rest of Italy) by ACTV buses (route 15 and 45) and ATVO buses;
- regional destinations (Treviso, Padua, beaches ...) by ATVO buses and by Busitalia Sita Nord buses (national company).
Accidents and incidents
- On 6 March 1967, a Short Brothers SC.7 Skyvan 2–102, operated by Soc. Aeralpi, crashed while attempting to land in bad weather, crashing into the lagoon. All 3 on board survived.
- On 14 September 1993, an Italian Air Force Piaggio PD.808 crashed while attempting to land in bad weather, killing all 3 on board.
- On 10 May 2014, US Airways Flight 715, headed to Philadelphia from Venice, made an emergency landing at Dublin Airport in Ireland after nine flight attendants complained of nausea, dizziness and running eyes. There were no reports of the pilots or passengers falling ill.
- Business Traveller. "Easyjet launches Venice base - Business Traveller".
- "EAD Basic - Error Page".
- "Italiana Gestori Aeroportuali".[permanent dead link]
- "Easyjet opens Venice base".
- "Venice Airport".
- veniceairport.it - Seasonal schedule retrieved 30 October 2016
- Zumbach, Lauren. "American adding summer flights from Chicago to Venice next year".
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Asiana Airlines S18 Long-Haul changes as of 17NOV17".
- "easyJet outlines new routes from Berlin Tegel in S18". Routesonline. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Cheap flights from Venice Marco Polo to Glasgow - easyJet -". www.easyjet.com.
- "easyJet to fly to Venice from LJLA". Liverpool John Lennon Airport.
- "easyJet additional new routes in S18". Routesonline. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "Home - easyJet.com". www.easyjet.com.
- "Book A Flight - Ernest Airlines".
- "Flybe Timetable". www.flybe.com.
- Liu, Jim (20 February 2019). "Pegasus adds Venice service from July 2019". Routesonline.
- "Flights to the Croatian Island of Losinj". SilverAirTravels. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- "Flight schedules". sunexpress.com.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "SunExpress Germany S18 new routes as of 15NOV17".
- "Istanbul New Airport Transition Delayed Until April 5, 2019 (At The Earliest)".
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Volotea S17 New routes as of 10OCT16".
- "Venice Airport bus service".
- "linee urbane - ACTV".
- "Information" (PDF). www.fsbusitalia.it.
- "ASN Aircraft accident Shorts SC.7 Skyvan 2–102 I-TORE Venezia". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- "ASN Aircraft accident Piaggio PD.808TP MM61953 Venezia". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- "Philly-bound flight diverted after flight attendants fall ill". WPVI. 11 May 2014. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
Media related to Venice Marco Polo Airport at Wikimedia Commons