|Full name||Marco Russ|
|Date of birth||4 August 1985|
|Place of birth||Hanau, West Germany|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back / Defensive midfielder|
|2013||→ Eintracht Frankfurt (loan)||10||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14 May 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 5 February 2017
Born in Hanau, Hesse, Russ advanced through the youth system at nearby Eintracht Frankfurt. He made his debut in 2004, and on 29 April 2006 played in the DFB-Pokal final, a 0–1 loss to Bayern Munich at the Olympiastadion in Berlin.
In July 2011, after Frankfurt's relegation to the 2. Bundesliga, Russ became a transfer target for VfL Wolfsburg manager Felix Magath. On the 16th, he became the second player that summer to make the move from Frankfurt to the Volkswagen Arena, joining Patrick Ochs by signing a three-year deal for a fee of around €3.5 million.
After two seasons in Lower Saxony, Russ returned to his former club in June 2013 after an earlier loan. He competed with the team in the season's UEFA Europa League, making eight appearances in all; on 19 September he scored from Tranquillo Barnetta's corner kick in a 3–0 group stage home win over FC Girondins de Bordeaux.
In May 2016, Russ took a routine anti-doping test which showed high levels of the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), which can be produced either by anabolic steroids or cancer. After consulting a doctor on the 18th, it was confirmed that he had a malignant tumour. However, he put himself forward to play their promotion/relegation play-off against 1. FC Nürnberg the following day. In the match, he scored an own goal from Sebastian Kerk's free kick in a 1–1 home draw. Russ returned to the pitch after undergoing therapy on 28 February 2017 in a DFB-Pokal match against Arminia Bielefeld.
- Eintracht Frankfurt
- "Russ, Marco" (in German). kicker.de. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Eintracht Frankfurt's Marco Russ diagnosed with tumor". Deutsche Welle. 19 May 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Deutlich knapper als erwartet". Fussballdaten (in German). Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Schiebers Doppelpack leitet ungefährdeten VfB-Sieg ein". kicker. 26 September 2009. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- Zocher, Thomas (5 July 2011). "Wolfsburg target Russ". Sky Sports. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- Witney, Clark (16 July 2011). "Official: Wolfsburg sign Marco Russ from Eintracht Frankfurt". Goal.com. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Hoffenheim's Schröck stiffens Eintracht midfield". UEFA. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Europa League: Eintracht Frankfurt ease to 3-0 victory over Bordeaux". Sky Sports. 19 September 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- Stephan Uersfeld (19 May 2016). "Frankfurt's Marco Russ to feature in playoff despite tumour diagnosis". ESPN FC. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Marco Russ: Eintracht Frankfurt captain scores own goal day after diagnosis". 20 May 2016. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- ""Einfach nur froh": Russ ist zurück auf dem Rasen". kicker.de (in German). 28 February 2017. Retrieved 1 March 2017.