Ureña with San Jose Earthquakes in 2017
|Full name||Marcos Danilo Ureña Porras|
|Date of birth||5 March 1990|
|Place of birth||San José, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2014||→ FC Midtjylland (loan)||10||(2)|
|2017||San Jose Earthquakes||25||(5)|
|2018||Los Angeles FC||18||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 November 2018|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 22 June 2018
Marcos Danilo Ureña Porras, known as Marco Ureña (born 5 March 1990) is a Costa Rican professional footballer who currently plays for Alajuelense in Liga FPD. A striker, he has represented Costa Rica internationally.
Born in San José, Costa Rica, Ureña started his career at Primera División side Alajuelense and in March 2011, he joined Russian Premier League side Kuban Krasnodar. He did not manage to score a single goal in the Russian league.
It was announced on 27 January 2017 that Ureña had been signed by Major League Soccer side San Jose Earthquakes. He scored his first MLS goal in a 2–1 road loss to New York City FC at Yankee Stadium on 1 April 2017. Ureña recorded his first MLS assist at home to achieve a 1–1 draw against Seattle Sounders FC on 8 April 2017. His game-winning goal over Minnesota United FC on 22 October secured San Jose's sixth-place spot in the 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs, the team's first playoff appearance since 2012.
Ureña participated in the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup for Costa Rica where Costa Rica U-20 national football team, placed 4th after losing to Hungary in the match for the 3rd place. He scored three goals on that competition.
At the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup, he scored the winner in Costa Rica's opening match and 0–1 victory against Honduras off of an assist from New York City FC man and fellow MLS player Rodney Wallace on 7 July 2017, at Red Bull Arena. This performance earned him CONCACAF Man of the Match honors.
On 1 September 2017, Ureña recorded a brace in Costa Rica's crucial World Cup qualifier against the United States, again at Red Bull Arena. On 5 September 2017, Ureña scored off of a volley to equalize the match against Mexico, which also served as his first goal at the Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica.
- As of 19 July 2018
|2011–12||Kuban Krasnodar||Russian Premier League||20||0||1||0||—||21||0|
|2014–15||FC Midtjylland||Danish Superliga||21||3||1||1||0||0||22||4|
|2016–17||Brøndby IF||Danish Superliga||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2017||San Jose Earthquakes||Major League Soccer||25||5||0||0||—||25||5|
|2018||Los Angeles FC||Major League Soccer||9||1||1||1||—||10||1|
- As of 22 June 2018
- Scores and results list Costa Rica's goal tally first.
|1.||16 January 2011||Estadio Rommel Fernández, Panama City, Panama||Panama||1–0||2–0||2011 Copa Centroamericana|
|3.||23 January 2011||Estadio Rommel Fernández, Panama City, Panama||Honduras||1–2||1–2|
|4.||9 February 2011||Estadio Olímpico Luis Ramos, Barcelona, Venezuela||Venezuela||2–1||2–2||Friendly|
|5.||5 June 2011||Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, United States||Cuba||1–0||5–0||2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|7.||12 June 2011||Soldier Field, Chicago, United States||Mexico||1–4||1–4|
|8.||14 June 2014||Castelão, Fortaleza, Brazil||Uruguay||3–1||3–1||2014 FIFA World Cup|
|9.||3 September 2014||Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C., United States||Panama||2–0||2–1||2014 Copa Centroamericana|
|10.||22 July 2015||Estadio Rommel Fernández, Panama City, Panama||Panama||2–0||2–1||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|11.||7 July 2017||Red Bull Arena, Harrison, United States||Honduras||1–0||1–0||2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|12.||1 September 2017||Red Bull Arena, Harrison, United States||United States||1–0||2–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|14.||5 September 2017||Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica||Mexico||1–1||1–1|
|15.||23 March 2018||Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland||Scotland||1–0||1–0||Friendly|
Ureña married Ana Paula Aguilar in May 2014.
- "2018 FIFA World Cup: List of players" (PDF). FIFA. 24 June 2018. p. 6.
- "Marco Urena player profile". soccerway.com.
- МАРКОС УРЕНЬЯ СТАНЕТ ИГРОКОМ КУБАНИ. FCKuban.ru (in Russian). FC Kuban Krasnodar. 3 March 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- Ureña viajó de nuevo a firmar con equipo ruso Archived 27 December 2014 at the Wayback Machine - Nación (in Spanish)
- "FC Midtjylland lejer VM-spiller". FCM.dk (in Danish). FC Midtjylland. 29 August 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "FCM sikrer sig Ureña permanent". FC Midtjylland. 10 December 2014.
- Alvarado, José (21 July 2016). "Brondby danés fichó a Marco Ureña". Diario Extra. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Valverde, Esteban (21 July 2016). "Marco Ureña pasa del Midtjylland al Brondby de Dinamarca". La Nación. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "San Jose Earthquakes add Costa Rican international Marcos Urena". Major League Soccer. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "RECAP: Quakes take frustrating loss in NYC". San Jose Earthquakes. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "RECAP: A late Wondo finish earns the Quakes a come-from-behind point vs. Seattle Sounders FC". San Jose Earthquakes. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "RECAP: Quakes officially punch ticket to 2017 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs". San Jose Earthquakes. 22 October 2017. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "LAFC select Tico striker, young prospects in 2017 Expansion Draft". Major League Soccer. 12 December 2017. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "FIFA U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009 List of Players" (PDF). FIFA. Retrieved 9 June 2010.
- "Marco URENA". FIFA. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Costa Rica World Cup 2014 squad". The Telegraph. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Uruguay 1-3 Costa Rica". BBC. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Honduras 0, Costa Rica 1 | 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup Match Recap". Major League Soccer. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- Polacek, Scott. "Marco Urena Saves Draw for Costa Rica vs. Mexico in 2018 World Cup Qualifier".
- "Ureña se quitó una espinita: anotar en el Estadio Nacional - Crhoy.com".
- "M.Ureña". uk.soccerway.com. Soccerway. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Marco Ureña". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Ureña, Marco". National Football Teams. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- Marco Ureña se sudó la camiseta y le anotó un tanto al amor - Nación (in Spanish)
- Marco Ureña at National-Football-Teams.com