Verratti unveiled by PSG in 2012
|Full name||Marco Verratti|
|Date of birth||5 November 1992|
|Place of birth||Pescara, Italy|
|Height||1.65 m (5 ft 5 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 May 2015.
Marco Verratti (Italian pronunciation: [ˈmarko verˈratti]; born 5 November 1992) is an Italian footballer who plays as a central midfielder for Paris Saint Germain in Ligue 1 and the Italian national football team.
A technically gifted playmaker with notable dribbling and passing skills, as well as good vision and close ball control, Verratti has been compared to Italy legend Andrea Pirlo after making the same transition from trequartista to regista that the 2006 FIFA World Cup winner made early in his career.
Verratti was born in Pescara , and grew up in L'Aquila. As a child, he supported Juventus and idolised Alessandro Del Piero, the team's Italian international playmaker. Verratti's talent was noticed at an early age, and he was made offers to join the youth academies of Atalanta and Internazionale, but joined his local club Pescara for €5,000. After an impressive performance for Pescara's under-16 team against A.C. Milan, the Lombardy club offered €300,000 to sign the midfielder.
Verratti made his first team debut in the 2008–09 season at the age of 16. In the 2009–10 season, he appeared more regularly for Pescara, and since then became a key player in the first team. His performances generated national media coverage as a potential star of the future and Italian international.
With Zdeněk Zeman as manager, Verratti excelled as a deep-lying playmaker in a Pescara team which won the 2011–12 Serie B title playing "the best football in Italy", earning promotion to Serie A the following season. After helping Pescara to promotion to Serie A, Verratti received the 2012 Bravo Award for the best player under the age of 21 in Europe, and was reportedly wanted by Napoli, Roma and Juventus, as well as Carlo Ancelotti's Paris Saint-Germain. At the 2012 AIC Gran Gala del Calcio, he was elected the best player of the 2011-12 Serie B season, along with former Pescara team-mates Ciro Immobile and Lorenzo Insigne.
On 18 July 2012, Verratti signed a five-year contract with Paris Saint-Germain in the French Ligue 1. After making his debut against Lille, the midfielder assisted Javier Pastore's opening goal on his first appearance at the Parc des Princes, a 2–0 defeat of Toulouse. On 18 September, he made his UEFA Champions League debut in a 4–1 defeat of Dynamo Kyiv. He ended his first season in the French capital by winning the 2012–13 Ligue 1 title. On 20 August 2013, Verratti signed a one-year extension to his contract with PSG, keeping him at the club until 2018.
Veratti's second season with PSG was even more successful than the first as the team retained its league title and won the Coupe de la Ligue. Verratti was named as the Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year and included in the Ligue 1 Team of the Year for 2013–14.
On 30 September 2014, Verratti scored his first goal for PSG, a header in a 3–2 home win over Barcelona in the group stage of the Champions League. On 18 January 2015, Verratti scored his first goal in the Ligue 1, in a 4-2 home win over Evian.
The uncapped Verratti was included into Cesare Prandelli's preliminary 32-man Italy squad for UEFA Euro 2012, being one of only two Serie B players (the other being Torino's Angelo Ogbonna) to be part of it. He was subsequently cut from the squad on 28 May 2012.
On 15 August 2012, Verratti made his debut with the Italian senior team in a friendly match against England played in Bern. He subsequently made his first competitive appearance in 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification, appearing as a second-half substitute for Emanuele Giaccherini in a 2–2 draw against Bulgaria on 7 September.
He took part with the Italy U-21 side at the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship, where the Azzurrini finished as runner-ups to Spain. His performances saw him included in UEFA's all-star squad for the tournament.
On 1 June 2014, Verratti was selected in Italy's 23-man squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In Italy's opening match of the tournament, he made his first competitive start for the Azzurri on the left side of a midfield diamond with Juventus players Andrea Pirlo and Claudio Marchisio and Roma vice-captain Daniele de Rossi in a 2–1 victory over England in Manaus.
- Scores and results list Italy's goal tally first.
|1.||6 February 2013||Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam||Netherlands||1–1||1–1||Friendly|
- Paris Saint-Germain
- Ligue 1: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15
- Coupe de France: 2014–15
- Coupe de la Ligue: 2013–14 ,2014–15
- Trophée des Champions: 2013, 2014
- Bravo Award: 2012
- AIC Gran Gala del Calcio Best Player in Serie B: 2012
- UEFA U-21 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2013
- UNFP Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year (1): 2013–14
- UNFP Ligue 1 Team of the Year (2): 2012–13, 2013-14, 2014-15
- UNFP Player of the Month: September 2013, September 2014
- "MARCO VERRATTI" (in Italian). Delfino Pescara 1936. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "Marco Verratti" (in Italian). SKY.it. 26 January 2011. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "Verratti e il mondiale: "Gioco in Champions, ma non so se basta"". Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Verratti: "Io come Pirlo? Il paragone mi onora"". Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Marco VERRATTI". FIFA. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Meet the new Pirlo looking to shatter England's World Cup dream". FourFourTwo. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Verratti, la Juve sul nuovo Pirlo Zeman lo ha inventato regista". Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Oscar del calcio, Pirlo giocatore dell'anno". Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Marco Verratti joins PSG". Paris Saint-Germain. 18 July 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Paris 4-1 Dynamo Kyiv". UEFA. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "MARCO VERRATTI SIGNS YEAR EXTENSION". Paris Saint Germain F.C. 20 August 2013. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "Ibrahimovic named player of the year". Ligue 1. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Paris St G 3-2 Barcelona". BBC Sport. 30 September 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Ligue 1, Psg-Evian 4-2: Luiz, Verratti, Pastore e Cavani in gol. Marsiglia ok". Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Euro 2012, i 32 di Prandelli La sorpresa è Verratti" [Euro 2012, the 32 men of Prandelli; Verratti is the surprise] (in Italian). La Repubblica. 13 May 2012. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Prandelli trims seven players from Italy squad". goal.com. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Netherlands vs Italy: Report". 6 February 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Thiago leads all-star squad dominated by Spain". UEFA.com. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "World Cup 2014: Italy omit Giuseppe Rossi from final squad". BBC. 1 June 2014. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "England 1-2 Italy". BBC. 15 June 2014. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "M. Verratti". soccerway. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "The "Bravo" Award". RSSSF. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Thiago leads all-star squad dominated by Spain". UEFA. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Trophées UNFP : Marco Verratti sacré meilleur espoir". RTL. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "2012/13 UNFP Awards". French Football Weekly. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- "Trophée du mois septembre 2013: Marco Verratti". National Union of Professional Footballers (in French). Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Verratti l'assurance tous risques....". National Union of Professional Footballers (in French). Retrieved 16 April 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marco Verratti.|