Marco de Goeij
Marco de Goeij
|Birth name||Marco de Goeij|
|Years active||1987 – present|
De Goeij studied classical guitar at the Utrecht School of the Arts, graduating in 1992. He continued to study in Paris, following lessons in modern classical music from Wim Hoogewerf, a Dutch classical guitarist and microtonalist.
In the mid-1990s, while writing an article about the Concerto for Group and Orchestra as recorded by Deep Purple with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, De Goeij learned that the musical score for the concerto had been missing since it was last performed in 1970. He reconstructed the score by listening to CD recordings and watching videos of live performances. When Deep Purple were performing in the Netherlands in 1997, de Goeij presented his work to Jon Lord. After the score had been completed, the reconstructed concerto was played in concert and recorded by Deep Purple with the London Symphony Orchestra in 1999. Since then, it has been played as part of a 2000–2001 world tour, and on several occasions afterwards.
Nowadays Marco de Goeij lives in Bodegraven. He is active as a composer and arranger, having written pieces for carillon, guitar, cello, pipe organ and brass. His original compositions include Dialogue (1989) for saxophone and piano, Canticles, four songs for mourning (1996) and A Rainy Day with Carillons (1997) for carillon, and two works for brass trio titled Intrada (2007) and Jazz Impromptus (2012).
- Performance of Dialogue, composed by Marco de Goeij for saxophone and piano in 1989.
- Performance of L.M. Gottschalk's 'The Dying Poet', arranged for carillon by Marco de Goeij.
- Performance of 'Intrada', composed by Marco de Goeij for brass trio in 2007.
- "DPAS Review: Jon Lord Interview Session, Sydney Opera House, 21st January 2003"
- "Tour reviews Press for the Australian tour". Archived from the original on 17 May 2008. Retrieved 15 April 2008.
- Concerto for Group and Orchestra - Back from the Dead
- One Mann's Tale
- YouTube video of a performance of Dialogue for saxophone and piano
- Short bio at website of a music school in Bodegraven (in Dutch)[permanent dead link]
- Post about Marco de Goeij at Darker than Blue, a blog about Deep Purple and related topics
- Gronings beiaardboek vol. 4, works for carillon (cop. 1998)
- Program of a 2001 carillon concert by Gideon Bodden[permanent dead link]