Marcos, Ilocos Norte
|Municipality of Marcos|
Map of Ilocos Norte with Marcos highlighted
|Region||Ilocos Region (Region I)|
|Barangays||13 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Allan M. Coloma|
|• Electorate||11,346 voters (2016)|
|• Total||72.77 km2 (28.10 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||240/km2 (630/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)77|
|Climate type||Tropical monsoon climate|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||123,750,190.08 (2016)|
Marcos town was formerly a part of Dingras, Ilocos Norte, and the town was created in 1963 by Republic Act No. 3753, was named in honor of Mariano Marcos (April 21, 1897 – March 8, 1945) who was the father of the former president Ferdinand Marcos. Four barangays were named after Mariano Marcos' four children:
- Ferdinand Marcos (1917-1989), who became president of the Philippines (1965–1986)
- Pacifico Marcos (1919-), a physician
- Elizabeth Marcos-Keon (1921-1986), former Ilocos Norte governor (1971-1983) and mother of Michael Marcos Keon
- Fortuna Marcos-Barba
- Pacifico (Agunit)
- Imelda (Capariaan)
- Elizabeth (Culao)
- Lydia (Poblacion)
- Valdez (Biding)
- Tabucbuc (Ragas)
The small town of Marcos has seen multiple violent political attacks.
On the morning of June 3, 2017, Mayor Arsenio Agustin was shot in the head and died on the spot after inspecting a project in Brgy. Mabuti. Municipal employee Mark Valencia was also shot in the back. The mayor's bodyguards fired back at the gunman but the gunman got away.
Just after dark on the evening of April 4, 2017, Vice Mayor Jessie Ermitanio survived an ambush and shootout while driving on an unpopulated section of road between the Padsan River and the Daquioag Elementary school. The vice mayor's driver Lucky Jesrel Rumbaoa died from the gunshots and his security escort Ricky Florendo and Municipal Council staffer Edralin Arellano were injured.
Mayor Agustin had been receiving death threats prior to the shooting and the vice mayor had requested a police escort after he believed he was being stalked when serving as acting mayor in October 2016.
On February 4, 2013, the former mayor Salvador Pillos survived an attack by motorcycle-riding gunmen, who shot him while he was inspecting a project.
On the afternoon of February 23, 2013, the Brgy. Fortuna chairman Alfredo Arce was gunned down by a gunman riding tandem on the back of a motorcycle. Arce was shot in the chest and died on the spot.
|Population census of Marcos|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of Marcos, Ilocos Norte, was 17,777 people, with a density of 240 inhabitants per square kilometre or 620 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Ilocos Norte". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Adriano, Leilanie. "Ilocos Norte town mayor, municipal employee shot dead". Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- "Ilocos Norte town mayor Arsenio Agustin shot dead". Rappler. Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- Adriano, Leilanie. mayor-survives-ambush-driver-killed "Ilocos Norte vice mayor survives ambush, driver killed" Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- "Ilocos Norte mayoral candidate shot dead". Rappler. Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Ilocos Norte". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Pasyalan Ilocos Norte
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|This article about a location in Ilocos region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|