Marcos António Elias Santos
|Full name||Marcos Antônio Elias Santos|
|Date of birth||25 May 1983|
|Place of birth||Alagoinhas, Brazil|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2002–2003||FC Porto B||16||(1)|
|2003||→ Académica de Coimbra (loan)||12||(0)|
|2003–2006||Gil Vicente FC||62||(4)|
|2006–2007||→ União de Leiria (loan)||29||(1)|
|2008–2009||→ PAOK FC (loan)||16||(1)|
|2010||CF Os Belenenses||14||(0)|
|2010–2012||FC Rapid Bucureşti||62||(3)|
|2012–2013||1. FC Nürnberg||2||(0)|
|2014–2018||Johor Darul Ta'zim FC||103||(12)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 1 December 2016|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 14 October 2014
He signed a one-year contract on loan, but PAOK FC had an option to buy him out after its expiration. Marcos Antonio scored the first goal for PAOK in the 2008–09 Greek Superleague in his first appearance. He finished the season at PAOK and then returned to Auxerre.
In April 2009, Marcos António was diagnosed with throat cancer. He had first complained about a sore throat two months earlier, but did not discover the cause until his wife insisted that he visit an otolaryngologist.
FC Rapid Bucureşti
1. FC Nürnberg
In June 2012, he signed a contract with 1. FC Nürnberg until 2014. He made his debut for Der Club in the DFB-Pokal against TSV Havelse. On 29 September, he made his Bundesliga debut against VfB Stuttgart, but made two bad errors early in the game, and was substituted after 16 minutes.
Johor Darul Ta'zim
In April 2014, he signed a contract with Johor Darul Ta'zim F.C. to replace Baihakki Khaizan in their defense. He played for his new club in a home game against title rival, Pahang, in the FA Cup semi-final first leg, keeping the visitor's forward, Dickson Nwakaeme, at bay. He almost got his first goal for his new club, but his header on the far post was not on target. He finally scored his first goal in the Malaysia Super League to help JDT beat Pahang FA 2-0 in the 36th minute.
- Malaysia Super League: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Malaysia Charity Shield: 2015, 2016, 2018
- Malaysia FA Cup: 2016
- AFC Cup: 2015
- Malaysia Cup: 2017
- "PAOK Strike Muslimović Deal". Goal.com. 14 July 2008. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "La triste histoire de Marcos Antonio" (in French). L'Equipe. 22 September 2009. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Marcos António venceu o cancro e assina agora pelo Belenenses" (in Portuguese). futebolportugal.clix.pt. 22 January 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "FUTEBOL: Marcos António é o segundo reforço" (in Portuguese). Os Belenenses. Archived from the original on 30 May 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- Funk, Martin; Toskitsis, Nikos (17 June 2012). "Neuzugang Marcos Antonio hat Kämpferherz: Seinen größten Sieg feierte er gegen den Krebs". Bild.de (in German). Axel Springer AG. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Havelse siegt verdient – Nürnberg blamiert sich". kicker online (in German). Olympia-Verlag GmbH. 19 August 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Desolate Leistung gegen Stuttgart: Nürnberg-Verteidiger in der 16. Minute ausgewechselt". Spiegel Online (in German). 29 September 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2013.