Marcos António Elias Santos
|Full name||Marcos Antônio Elias Santos|
|Date of birth||25 May 1983|
|Place of birth||Alagoinhas, Brazil|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2003||→ Académica de Coimbra (loan)||12||(0)|
|2006–2007||→ U.D. Leiria (loan)||29||(1)|
|2008–2009||→ PAOK (loan)||16||(1)|
|2012–2013||1. FC Nürnberg||1||(0)|
|2014–2018||Johor Darul Ta'zim||103||(12)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Marcos António was born in Alagoinhas, Brazil.
On 21 August 2002, FC Porto signed him but loaned him to Académica in January 2003. He then played for Gil Vicente for three seasons, and then for U.D. Leiria, before joining AJ Auxerre in summer 2007.
He signed a one-year contract on loan, but PAOK FC had an option to buy him out after its expiration. Marcos Antonio scored the first goal for PAOK in the 2008–09 Greek Superleague in his first appearance. He finished the season at PAOK and then returned to Auxerre.
In April 2009, Marcos António was diagnosed with throat cancer. He had first complained about a sore throat two months earlier, but did not discover the cause until his wife insisted that he visit an otolaryngologist.
1. FC Nürnberg
In June 2012, he signed a contract with 1. FC Nürnberg until 2014. He made his debut for Der Club in the DFB-Pokal against TSV Havelse. On 29 September, he made his Bundesliga debut against VfB Stuttgart, but made two bad errors early in the game, and was substituted after 16 minutes.
Johor Darul Ta'zim
In April 2014, he signed a contract with Johor Darul Ta'zim to replace Baihakki Khaizan in their defense. He played for his new club in a home game against title rival, Pahang FA, in the FA Cup semi-final first leg, keeping the visitor's forward, Dickson Nwakaeme, at bay. He almost got his first goal for his new club, but his header on the far post was not on target. He finally scored his first goal in the Malaysia Super League to help JDT beat Pahang 2–0 in the 36th minute.
Johor Darul Ta'zim
- Malaysia Super League: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Malaysia Charity Shield: 2015, 2016, 2018
- Malaysia FA Cup: 2016
- AFC Cup: 2015
- Malaysia Cup: 2017
- "PAOK Strike Muslimović Deal". Goal.com. 14 July 2008. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "La triste histoire de Marcos Antonio" (in French). L'Equipe. 22 September 2009. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Marcos António venceu o cancro e assina agora pelo Belenenses" (in Portuguese). futebolportugal.clix.pt. 22 January 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "FUTEBOL: Marcos António é o segundo reforço" (in Portuguese). Os Belenenses. Archived from the original on 30 May 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- Funk, Martin; Toskitsis, Nikos (17 June 2012). "Neuzugang Marcos Antonio hat Kämpferherz: Seinen größten Sieg feierte er gegen den Krebs". Bild.de (in German). Axel Springer AG. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Havelse siegt verdient – Nürnberg blamiert sich". kicker online (in German). Olympia-Verlag GmbH. 19 August 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Desolate Leistung gegen Stuttgart: Nürnberg-Verteidiger in der 16. Minute ausgewechselt". Spiegel Online (in German). 29 September 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2013.