Arouca playing for Santos in 2011
|Full name||Marcos Arouca da Silva|
|Date of birth||11 August 1986|
|Place of birth||Duas Barras, Brazil|
|Height||1.71 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2010||→ Santos (loan)||7||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 November 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 10 September 2014
Born in Duas Barras, Arouca made his professional debuts with Fluminense in 2004 Brasileirão, appearing 10 times. In the following year he appeared regularly with the side, and scored his first professional goal on 25 September 2005, netting his side's first of a 4–3 home success over Santos.
In 2007 Arouca played regularly during the Copa do Brasil winning campaign, and also appeared in 30 matches in the league with Flu finishing fourth. In the following year he was again starter, also being runner-up of that year's Copa Libertadores. In September 2008 he completed 200 matches for Fluminense, finishing the season with 54 appearances overall.
On 19 January 2010 Arouca joined Santos in an on-year loan deal, with Rodrigo Souto moving in the opposite direction. He made his debut for the club late in the month, playing the last 28 minutes in a 2–0 home win over Oeste. As a starter, Arouca was a key defensive unit in that year's Copa do Brasil and Paulista winning campaigns. On 23 July 2010 Santos bought him outright, signing a four-year deal for a €3.5 million fee.
In the following year Arouca was again ever-present, scoring his first goal for Peixe on 15 May 2011, netting the first of a 2–1 home success over Corinthians, in 2011 Campeonato Paulista final. He was also starter during the Copa Libertadores and FIFA Club World Cup, which Santos finished champions and runner-up, respectively; Arouca also assisted Neymar in the first goal of the Libertadores' final.
Arouca was again an ever-present figure during 2012, winning his third consecutive Paulistão, also scoring his second goal for Santos on 29 February, against Guarani. On 23 August 2013 he renewed his link with Peixe, running until the end of 2016.
In March 2014, Arouca was racially abused by the crowd in a state championship game against Mogi Mirim. The abuse was condemned by the nation's president Dilma Rousseff, who invited Arouca to meet her at the Palácio do Planalto along with two others who had suffered similarly, Cruzeiro player Tinga and gaúcho referee Márcio Chagas.
On 9 January 2015 Arouca took a legal action against Santos due to unpaid wages, despite previously stating that he would not make such action; on the 29th, after lengthy negotiations, he rescinded his link with the club and removed his legal action, with Santos also retaining 40% of his rights.
Despite the call ups and playing in four games, Arouca failed to impress in his performances with the national squad and as a result, he never solidified a position within the team; he was left out of the squad after the replacement of the former coach Mano Menezes by Luiz Felipe Scolari.
- As of 10 November 2016
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||Continental||State League||Other[i]||Total|
- Including FIFA Club World Cup
- Campeonato Paulista: 2010, 2011, 2012
- Copa do Brasil: 2010
- Copa Libertadores: 2011
- Recopa Sudamericana: 2012
- Arouca faz seu primeiro gol entre os profissionais (Arouca scores his first goal in the professionals) Archived 13 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine.; Canal Fluminense, 25 September 2005 (Portuguese)
- Na volta para casa, Arouca dá exemplo e recebe homenagem em Xerém (On the way home, Arouca gives example and receives tribute in Xerém); Globo Esporte, 18 September 2008 (Portuguese)
- São Paulo confirma contratação de Arouca e espera liberação (São Paulo confirms Arouca's signing and awaits clearance); UOL Esporte, 23 December 2008 (Portuguese)
- São Paulo só empata com Ituano na estreia no Estadual (São Paulo only draws with Ituano in State League's debut); IG Esporte, 21 January 2009 (Portuguese)
- São Paulo e Santos acertam troca de Arouca por Rodrigo Souto (São Paulo e Santos agree swap of Arouca for Rodrigo Souto) Archived 22 January 2010 at the Wayback Machine.; Globo Esporte, 19 January 2010 (Portuguese)
- Ainda sem Robinho, Santos vence e "dorme" na liderança (Still without Robinho, Santos wins and "sleeps" leader); Terra, 30 January 2010 (Portuguese)
- Santos paga 3,5 milhões de euros e contrata Arouca em definitivo (Santos pays 3.5 million euros and signs Arouca permanently); Globo Esporte, 23 July 2010 (Portuguese)
- Com direito a drama no fim, Peixe conquista o bi em cima do Timão (With drama in the end, Peixe do the double over Timão); Globo Esporte, 15 May 2011 (Portuguese)
- Santos é campeão da Libertadores 2011 (Santos is the champion of 2011 Libertadores) Archived 24 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine.; O Estado de S. Paulo, 23 June 2011 (Portuguese)
- Santos renova contrato de Arouca até o fim de 2016 (Santos renews Arouca's contract until the end of 2016) Archived 25 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine.; O Estado de S. Paulo, 23 August 2013 (Portuguese)
- "Dilma vai receber Tinga, Arouca e árbitro gaúcho no Palácio do Planalto" [Dilma will receive Tinga, Arouca and gaúcho referee at the Palácio do Planalto] (in Portuguese). Globo. 13 March 2014. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- Arouca entra na Justiça contra o Santos e fica mais perto do Verdão (Arouca takes legal action against Santos and draws near Verdão) Archived 19 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine.; Gazeta Esportiva, 9 January 2015 (Portuguese)
- Com salários atrasados, Arouca descarta processar "segunda casa" (With unpaid wages, Arouca dimisses sue "second home"); Globo Esporte, 18 December 2014 (Portuguese)
- Santos aceita acordo, fica com 40% de Arouca e libera volante ao Palmeiras (Santos accepts agreement, stays with 40% of Arouca and releases defensive midfielder to Palmeiras); Lance!, 29 January 2015 (Portuguese)
- Arouca assina por quatro anos e é o 17º reforço do Verdão para 2015 (Arouca signs for four years and is the 17th addition of Verdão to 2015); Palmeiras' official website, 30 January 2015 (Portuguese)
- Hulk ataca de super-herói e 'salva' Mano, mas Brasil não escapa de vaias (Hulk has super-hero day and 'saves' Mano, but Brazil does not escape from boos); Globo Esporte, 7 September 2012 (Portuguese)
- Arouca at Soccerway
- "Finalistas, Palmeiras e Santos dominam a seleção do Paulistão" [Finalists, Palmeiras and Santos dominate Paulistão's team of the year] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 30 April 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.