Marcus & Millichap
|Traded as||NYSE: MMI|
Russell 2000 Component
|Industry||Commercial Real Estate Brokerage|
|Founder||George M. Marcus|
|Hessam Nadji, President & CEO|
|Services||Investment sales, financing, research, advisory services|
Marcus & Millichap (NYSE: MMI) is a company founded in Palo Alto in 1971 by George M. Marcus that works in the field of commercial real estate, providing real estate brokerage, investment brokerage, research, and advisory services in the U.S. and Canada. It is famous in its industry for popularizing the practice of exclusively listing properties with one broker, which by 2015 had become standard practice in the industry.
William Millichap was one of the first salespeople Marcus hired, and was made a partner in 1976.
In the early 1990s it participated in the wave of Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) vehicles that became publicly traded; it put together Essex Property Trust Inc which went public in 1993 and which by 2015 was the biggest apartment landlord on the West Coast.
It went public in 2013.
- "Profile: Marcus & Millichap, Inc". Bloomberg. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Marcus & Millichap expanding Institutional Property Advisors into office/industrial - Silicon Valley Business Journal". Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- Metcalf, Tom; Brandt, Nadja (1 June 2015). "Bay Area Broker Becomes Billionaire on Sub $10 Million Listings". Bloomberg.
- Zuckerman, Laurence (4 August 1994). "Questioning the Realty-Trust King". The New York Times.
- Berry, Jahna (June 4, 2015). "George Marcus's Marcus & Millichap closed most commercial real estate deals in U.S. in 2014". San Francisco Business Times.