The Marcus Cup was a two-session open team event contested by Senior Masters at the American Contract Bridge League’s summer North American Bridge Championships. From 1946 to 1952, the event winners had been awarded the Faber Cup but in 1953 the Marcus Cup was donated by friends in memory of Edward N. Marcus and replaced the Faber Cup
From 1946 to 1971 scoring had been by Board-a- Match but was changed in 1972 to international match points with Swiss pairings. The Marcus Cup was relegated as a secondary championship in 1968 and discontinued after 1978.
|Year||Winners Awarded the Faber Cup||Runners-up|
|1946||Charles Groden, Harold Harkavy, Elinor Murdoch, Jack Shore||Mrs. L. Goldstein, G. Schildmiller, M. Basher, L. A. Bernard|
|1947||Jack Cushing, Charles Saunders, Howard Zacks, Helen Zacks||Mrs. E. Folline, Mrs. S. Landauer, C. Shapiro, H. Gerst, Dr. A Salasky|
|1948||Maynard Adams, F. Ayres Bombeck, Bobby Nail, Edson Wood||M. Levin, P. Bacher, Mr. and Mrs. L. Jaeger, Peter Leventritt|
|1949||H. Sanborn Brown, John F. Carlin, Sam Delott, Irving Deuter||Ruth Sherman, H. Sonnenblick, Dr. William V. Lipton, W. M. Lichtenstein, Edgar Kaplan|
|1950||Gretchen Feldstein, Gratian Goldstein, Helen Lackman, Herman Lackman||P. Godin, M. Blain, E. Beausoleil, J. J. Perrault|
|1951||Dorothy E. Berning, Jack Cushing, Jay T. Feigus, Sims Gaynor (tied with)
Jeff Glick, Arthur S. Goldsmith, Alvin Landy, Sol Mogal
|1952||Warren Blank, J. George Boeckh, Jack Denny, Duke Dautell, Jerome Jacobs||Mr. and Mrs. E. Schwartz, S. Fink, Dr. L. Mark, B. O. Johnson|
|Winners Awarded the Marcus Cup||Runners-up|
|1953||Lee Hazen, Richard Kahn, Edgar Kaplan, Dr. William V. Lipton, Ruth Sherman (tied with)
Israel Cohen, Richard Freeman, Fred Karpin, Mike Michaels
|1954||Gerald Ackerman, Leonard Karp, Gwen Montgomery, Robert Rice||L. Lentz, S. Landauer, H. Gerst, N. Berlin (tied with )|
W. Ridenhour, J. C Barefoot Jr., Mr. and Mrs W. H. Holderness
|1955||John Gerber, Jim Jacoby, Oswald Jacoby, Paul Hodge, Walter Wolff, Jr.||Dr. William V. Lipton, V. Mitchell, R. Reynolds, C. Russell, Frank Nichols|
|1956||Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Brown, Richard Hart, F. Bert Powley||Dr. and Mrs. S. Warner, R. M. Rice, L. Karp, G. Ackerman|
|1957||John H. Moran, Bill Root, Peggy Rotzell, Robert Sitnek||Mrs. T. J. McKenna, Nathan Gerstman, R. Brown, Mrs. R. Nevins|
|1958||Jackie Begin, Barbara Brier, Maurice Paul, Peter Pender (tied with)
Fred Berger, Dr. John Fisher, Emma Jean Hawes, Margaret Wagar (and)
Mrs. J. Theron Brown, Nathan Gerstman, Dr. Richard Greene, Frank Nichols, Charles Whitehead
|1959||Nathan Gerstman, Mrs. Thomas McKenna, Eric R. Murray, Mrs. William Selikoff, Paul Trent||Dorothy Hayden, T. Brasher, A. Bell, G. Polak, Dan Rotman (tied with)|
R. Wolf, R. Bendan, P. Szecsi, G. Sorter, M. Tish
|1960||E.G. Burke, Eddie Kantar, Marshall Miles, Bill Root, Tobias Stone||Mrs. J. Coleman, Mrs. C. Munn, S. Rebner, C. Potvin|
|1961||Armand Barfus, Billy Eisenberg, Marty Ginsburg, Jeff Westheimer||P. Adams, A. Greene, Mrs. S. Warner, Mrs. B. Tepper|
|1962||Alan Bell, Leona Low, Marc Low, Roger Sarfaty, Richard Vission||Mr. and Mrs. T. Griffin, D. Lickly, A. B. Harris|
|1963||Hal Kandler, Jim Linhart, Hugh Ross, Richard Zeckhauser||Paul Hodge, John Gerber, Eric R. Murray, D. Carter (tied with)|
Harry Fishbein, Alvin Landy, Charles J. Solomon, N. Silverstein, Barry Crane, M. Shuman (and)
Mrs. E. F. Nicholas, J.P. Miler, J. Blair, F. Ayres Bombeck (and)
R. B. Henderson, L. Rafkin, Danny Kleinman, R. Violin
|1964||Jack Marsch, Douglas Thomson, Howard Rubin, Hank Promislow, Helen Promislow||F. Vine, H. Bork, M. Martino, L. Woodcock (tied with)|
Mr. and Mrs. V. Remey, A. Silber, C. Bishop, R. Rosen
|1965||Charles Shannon, Robert Hathaway, Ron Andersen, Darrell Penrod||Barry Crane, P. Rank, G. Marsee, R. Zoller|
|1966||Phyllis Kantar, Eddie Kantar, Marshall Miles, Harvey Cohen||T. Michaels, I. Cohen, Mrs. P. McDaniel, A. Gabrilovitch|
|1967||Charles J. Solomon, Peggy Solomon, Harry Fishbein, Julius L. Rosenblum, Sylvia Stein||William Flannery, H. Sachs, Paul Swanson, Bobby Goldman|
- At the time, a Senior Master was a player with 100 or more master points. References: Francis (1984), pages 352 and 796.
- Frey (1964), page 345.
- Marcus was a clothing manufacturer from Boston and an ACBL Board member He was named Life Master number 49 in 1945 having won six North American Championships including the Reisinger three times, the Spingold and the von Zedtwitz Life Masters Pairs.
- Previously, the Faber Cup had been awarded by the American Whist League for the National Auction Team Championships. Reference: Frey (1964), page 161.
- Marcus Cup becomes a secondary event.
- Francis (1984), page 796.
- Frey (1976), pages 762-763.
- Frey, Richard L., Editor-in-Chief; Truscott, Alan F., Executive Editor (1964). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (1st ed.). New York: Crown Publishers, Inc. LCCN 64023817.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Frey, Richard L., Editor-in-Chief; Truscott, Alan F., Executive Editor; Kearse, Amalya L., Editor, Third Edition (1976). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (3rd ed.). New York: Crown Publishers, Inc. ISBN 0-517-52724-3. LCCN 76017053.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Francis, Henry G., Editor-in-Chief; Truscott, Alan F., Executive Editor; Frey, Richard L., Editor Emeritus; Hayward, Diane, Editor, Fourth Edition (1984). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (4th ed.). New York: Crown Publishers, Inc. ISBN 0-517-55272-8. LCCN 84001791.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)