Jensen with the Oakland Athletics in 2015
|Oakland Athletics – No. 59|
|Catcher / Coach|
|Born: December 14, 1972|
|April 14, 1996, for the San Francisco Giants|
|Last MLB appearance|
|June 23, 2002, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
|Runs batted in||29|
Marcus Christian Jensen (born December 14, 1972) is an American professional baseball player and coach. He played as a catcher for the San Francisco Giants, Detroit Tigers, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Minnesota Twins, Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers in Major League Baseball (MLB) from 1996 through 2002. After retiring as a player, Jensen coached and managed in the minor leagues. In 2015, he was the coach for the Oakland Athletics of MLB.
Jensen attended Skyline High School in Oakland, California. The San Francisco Giants of Major League Baseball (MLB) selected Jensen in the first round, with the 33rd overall selection, of the 1990 MLB Draft. He made his MLB debut in 1996. Though he was labeled the Giants' "catcher of the future", he struggled, and was traded to the Detroit Tigers in July 1997 in exchange for Brian Johnson. He played for the Milwaukee Brewers in 1998, the St. Louis Cardinals in 1999, the Minnesota Twins in 2000, the Boston Red Sox and the Texas Rangers in 2001, and the Brewers in 2002.
In January 2007, Jensen retired as an active player to become a hitting coach in the Oakland Athletics organization. From 2009 through 2013, he was the manager of the Arizona Athletics of the Rookie-level Arizona League.
Jensen succeeded Todd Steverson as the Athletics' the minor league roving hitting instructor for Athletics after the 2013 season. After the 2014 season, he was named the assistant hitting coach on the Athletics' Major League roster.
- "Minor-league coaching news, Santa Rosa's Everidge hired". Oakland Athletics : The Drumbeat. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Jensen to catch some experience". SFGate. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Giants deal reaches for Skyline". SFGate. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Sun Journal – Google News Archive Search". Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "The Official Site of The Vancouver Canadians – canadiansbaseball.com Homepage". Vancouver Canadians. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "A's Name Darren Bush Hitting Coach". Oakland Athletics. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Rays nab high-risk, high-reward catcher". Major League Baseball. Retrieved October 31, 2014.