Marcus Junius Silanus (consul 15)
Marcus Junius C. f. M. n. Silanus (c.26 BC – 37) was an Ancient Roman senator who became suffect consul in 15. His daughter Junia Claudilla was the first wife of Emperor Caligula. His brother was a senator named Decimus Junius Silanus who was banished for having an affair with Vipsania Julia during the reign of Augustus. According to Ronald Syme, he had another brother, Appius Junius Silanus, the consul in 28, and his father was Gaius Junius Silanus, the consul in 10.
Ancient historians considered Marcus Silanus a highly respected man. When Tiberius came to power, if a judicial decision made by Silanus were appealed to the emperor, Tiberius invariably rejected the appeal, trusting Silanus' decision, and sent the case back to him. He also had the honor of casting the first vote in the Senate, and Silanus successfully talked Tiberius into recalling the banishment of his brother Decimus.
In 33, his daughter Junia Claudilla married Caligula. She died in 36 or early 37 but according to Philo, Silanus continued to treat Caligula as his own son. In November or December of 37, Caligula had him executed for unclear reasons. Suetonius claims he plotted against Caligula  while Philo and other sources claim the emperor was simply annoyed by him.
- Barrett, Anthony A. (1989). Caligula: The Corruption of Power. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-04653-7.
- Ferrill, Arther (1991) Caligula: Emperor of Rome. New York: Thames and Hudson. ISBN 0-500-25112-6.
- Garzetti, Albino (1976) From Tiberius to the Antonines: A History of the Roman Empire from AD 12-192. London: Methuen & Co. LTD. ISBN 0-416-70480-8.
- Suetonius, Life of Caligula
- Syme, Ronald, The Augustan Aristocracy
- Philo, On Embassy to Gaius
- Life of Caligula by Suetonius (Loeb Classical Library translation)
- Life of Caligula by Suetonius (Alexander Thomson translation)
- On Embassy to Gaius by Philo
- Caligula Caligula - A collection of ancient texts regarding Caligula and the time period in which Marcus Silanus lived.
- The Augustan Aristocracy - Limited Preview in GoogleBooks