Marcus Valerius Messalla (Consul 20)
Messalla was the son of Claudia Marcella Minor and Marcus Valerius Messalla Appianus. Marcella was the daughter of Gaius Claudius Marcellus and Octavia the Younger, the sister of Augustus and great-niece of Julius Caesar. Through his mother Messalla was related to the Julio-Claudian Dynasty. Messalla also had a sister Claudia Pulchra who married Publius Quinctilius Varus.
Messalla was the father of Marcus Valerius Messalla Corvinus, consul ordinarius in 58. Messalla later married his first cousin once removed Domitia Lepida the Younger and together they became the parents of Roman Empress Valeria Messalina, wife of the Emperor Claudius.
- Syme, Augustan Aristocracy, p.147
- Lightman, A to Z of Ancient Greek and Roman Women, p.205
- Prosopographia Imperii Romani V 88
- Suetonius, Vita Claudii, 26.29
- Tacitus, Annals 3.2
- W. Eck, Prosopographia Imperii Romani, Pars VIII, Fasciculus 2, Berlin, 2015 (PIR² V 145)
Marcus Junius Silanus Torquatus,
and Lucius Norbanus Balbus
|Consul of the Roman Empire
with Marcus Aurelius Cotta Maximus Messalinus
and Drusus Julius Caesar II