Big Easy Casino
|Big Easy Casino|
|Location||Hallandale Beach, Florida, U.S.|
|Address||831 N. Federal Highway|
|Opening date||December 1, 1934|
|Total gaming space||70,0000+ square feet|
Louie's Lounge |
The French Quarter
The Mezz Grill
The Big Easy Casino, formerly known as Mardi Gras Casino and Hollywood Greyhound Track, is a casino and greyhound racing facility located in Hallandale Beach, in the U.S. state of Florida. The casino features over 900 slot machines, virtual table games, free to enter poker tournaments, and nightly entertainment.
What is now the Big Easy Casino opened as the Hollywood Kennel Club on December 1, 1934, three years after Florida legalized parimutuel betting. A grandstand was added in 1940. In 1974, the facility was reopened as Hollywood Greyhound Track.
A November 2004 statewide referendum allowed Broward County voters to decide whether to allow slot machines at parimutuel facilities located in the county. Broward County voters subsequently approved the use of slots at Hollywood Greyhound and other parimutuels.
An extensive renovation project in 2006 added approximately 1,100 slot machines and a poker room to the dog track, which was renamed Mardi Gras Casino. Two years later, an additional 200 slot machines were added and, in 2009, the Big Easy Poker Room was relocated and expanded. Also included in the renovated facility were a flea market, several restaurants/bars, and a gift shop.
In 2015, the casino made further improvements, which included widening the aisles and opening up Louie's Lounge to the entire casino floor.
The casino offers over 70,000 square feet of gaming space, including over 900 slot machines, virtual roulette and blackjack, as well as The Dog Pound, Mardi Gras’ smoker-friendly slot area; simulcast and greyhound racing.
The Big Easy Poker Room, offers over 30 tables of Texas Hold 'em, 7 Card Stud, Omaha and Omaha Hi/Lo. The casino offers low and high limit tables in an effort to accommodate beginner and experienced players.
The Krewe Club is the casino's membership program. Anyone over 21 can become a Krewe Club member, and will receive $25 bonus play when signing up. The Krewe Club is a tiered membership program that includes purple, gold, black, and platinum levels. As club members play in the casino, they earn points that enable them to move up from purple, to gold, to black, and eventually to the invitation only platinum card. Each level gives the card-holder more exclusive benefits, ranging from free valet service to complementary tickets to on-site concerts and events.
Despite improvements and enhancements over the years, the dog track itself has remained relatively the same. Track specifics include:
- Track Length: 1,372 Feet
- Track Width: 22 Feet
- Length of Stretch: 300 Feet
- Composition: Sand and Marl
- Timing: Hundredth of a Second
- Courses: 550 Yards, 660 Yards and 770 Yards
The casino, which is a supporter of the Adopt-A-Greyhound program, also offers simulcast greyhound racing, harness and thoroughbred racing from tracks across the United States and Canada.
The track is home to four stakes races:
- Mardi Gras Futurity.
- $75,000 Mardi Gras World Classic.
- $10,000 Joe Ryan Jr. Memorial.
- $50,000 American Derby.
2010 Stakes Schedule 
The $15,000 Mardi Gras Futurity Qualifying Rounds Begin January 13 & 16 Semi-Final Round January 20 Championship January 23, 2010
Winner: Ls Lafave
The $75,000 Mardi Gras World Classic Qualifying Rounds Begin March 10 & 13th Semi-Final Rounds Begin March 17 & 20th Championship March 26, 2010
Winner: Oya Tom Terrific
The $10,000 Joe Ryan, Jr. Memorial Championship April 2, 2010
Winner: Funnelling Money
The $30,000 Hollywoodian Qualifying Rounds Begin April 21 & 24th Semi-Final Rounds Begin April 28 & May 1 Championship May 8, 2010
Winner: Crispins Place
Hollywood World Classic History - Past Winners
|March 1, 1975||Can't Decide||31.57|
|February 28, 1976||Bashful Guy||30.65|
|March 5, 1977||Downing||30.72|
|March 4, 1978||Cousin's Elite||31.01|
|March 3, 1979||Enisled||31.58|
|March 1, 1980||Banker Hap||30.85|
|March 21, 1981||MKC Lorine||31.34|
|March 12, 1982||Lantana Glamour||31.39|
|March 11, 1983||For Real||31.22|
|March 10, 1984||My Unicorn||30.79|
|March 8, 1985||Magnificat||31.05|
|March 8, 1986||Cajun Pay Off||30.62|
|March 7, 1987||Prince Proper||30.48|
|March 4, 1988||My Azalian||30.50|
|February 25, 1989||Warm Mission||30.64|
|March 3, 1990||Hello Higsbee||30.66|
|March 2, 1991||Briggs Stratton||30.77|
|March 7, 1992||Briggs Stratton||31.24|
|February 20, 1993||By Tar||30.73|
|February 26, 1994||Great Son||30.80|
|February 25, 1995||Follies Bergiere||30.90|
|March 15, 1996||Dunagree||30.52|
|March 14, 1997||Bomb Threat||30.22|
|March 13, 1998||Wigwam Hoss||31.16|
|March 27, 1999||Kelsos Kingpin||30.90|
|March 10, 2000||System Ax Friend||31.14|
|March 9, 2001||Kiowa Shawnee So||30.54|
|March 15, 2002||Flying Earhardt||30.26|
|March 14, 2003||Ea's Itzaboy||30.31|
|March 14, 2004||Ea's Itzaboy||30.27|
|March 15, 2005||Hallo West Acre||30.34|
|April 1, 2006||Kiowa Cruzechamp||30.29|
|March 31, 2007||Flying Stanley||30.06|
|March 29, 2008||Starz Jenko||30.30|
|March 27, 2009||Yahoo Omar||30.19|
|March 26, 2010||Oya Tom Terrific||30.51|
Dining options at the facility offer a mix of Cajun and American cuisine, ranging from fast casual to upscale, including:
- The Mezz Grill is a casual bar, offering sandwiches, pizza, and snacks.
- Café Orleans, featuring soups, sandwiches, salads and fresh baked goods.
- Louie's Lounge, the full service premium bar dedicated to the Big Easy Poker Room that has a variety of soups, salads, sandwiches, pizzas and a special late night menu.
- The French Quarter, which is the casino's signature restaurant. This restaurant offers high-end cuisine, such as lobster, steak, and crab cakes.
Events and Entertainment
The property has several entertainment venues that host nightly performances and year-round events, including concerts, stand-up comedy, dance competitions, and MMA fights.
- "Slots, Poker, Greyhound Racing | Mardi Gras Casino". Mardi Gras Casino. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Saunders, Mike (Apr 1, 1988). "Greyhound racing a good entertainment bet whether or not you place a bet". Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "South Florida casino and gaming guide". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Apr 27, 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- Burstein, Jon (Dec 28, 2006). "Slots will be running at greyhound track today". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- Mardi Gras Casino (2015-11-12), Check out the renovations at Mardi Gras Casino!, retrieved 2016-06-17
- David Raterman (November 29, 2017). "Damaged by Hurricane Irma, Mardi Gras Casino reopening in Hallandale Beach". Sun-Sentinel. Deerfield Beach, FL. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- Brian Bandell (April 25, 2018). "Soffer buys Mardi Gras Casino in Hallandale Beach". South Florida Business Journal. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- David Raterman (May 2, 2018). "A new name for Mardi Gras". Sun-Sentinel. Deerfield Beach, FL. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- Rene Rodriguez; Douglas Hanks; Mary Ellen Klas (January 12, 2018). "Fontainebleau owner Jeff Soffer buying Mardi Gras casino in Hallandale Beach". Miami Herald. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- "Florida Slot Machines | Mardi Gras Casino". Mardi Gras Casino. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Florida Virtual Table Games | Mardi Gras Casino". Mardi Gras Casino. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Florida Poker Tournaments | Mardi Gras Casino". Mardi Gras Casino. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-01-08. Retrieved 2010-04-22.