Marechal Joffre is a red inter-specific hybrid grape variety created by French viticulturist Eugène Kuhlmann (1858–1932). Like Marechal Foch, which was also created by Kuhlman, Marechal Joffre is named after a notable French World War I general, in this case Marshal (Fr. Maréchal) Joseph Joffre.
The grape is a crossing of the Vitis vinifera variety Goldriesling and another inter-specific crossing Millardet et Grasset 101-14. Through Millardet et Grasset 101-14, the pedigree of Marechal Joffre includes varieties from other species in the Vitis genus including Vitis riparia and Vitis rupestris.
Like Agria, Leon Millot, Madeleine Angevine and Siegerrebe, Marechal Joffre is a considered a "very early" ripening variety, often ripening several days to a couple weeks earlier than Marechal Foch, Pinot gris, Riesling and other varieties often grown in cool-climate regions. The grape is considered to be moderately winter hardy (though not as hardy as other Kuhlmann hybrids) with good resistance to most grapevine diseases.
Relationship to other varieties
Marechal Joffre is very similar to other hybrid varieties created by Eugène Kuhlmann, particularly Marechal Foch, Lucie Kuhlmann and Leon Millot with all the grapes being made from the same Goldriesling and Millardet et Grasset 101-14 crossing.
The winter hardy nature and early ripening tendency of Marechal Joffre makes it suitable for cooler climates with shorter growing seasons and less degree days. It is a recommended variety for plantings in the Puget Sound AVA of western Washington State and in Colorado, particularly for vineyards located in the Colorado Front Range. Plantings of the grape can also be found in Minnesota.
As a relatively recently created hybrid variety, Marechal Joffre is not known under many synonyms with only Joffre and Kuhlmann 187-1 being recognized by the Vitis International Variety Catalogue (VIVC).
- Lisa Smiley "Marechal Foch Archived 2011-04-10 at the Wayback Machine." Iowa State University 2008, Accessed: April 14th, 2013
- Pierre Galet "Dictionnaire encyclopédique des cépages" Hachette Pratique, 1st Edition (2000) ISBN 2-0123633-18
- Wein-Plus "Marechal Joffre" Glossary, Accessed: April 14th, 2013
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue (VIVC) Marechal Joffre Accessed: April 13th, 2013
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue (VIVC) Millardet et Grasset 101-14 Archived 2012-04-22 at the Wayback Machine. Accessed: April 13th, 2013
- Melinda Mann "Growing Wine Grapes Archived 2012-12-03 at the Wayback Machine." Washington State University, July 3rd 2009
- Jim Bruce "Recommended Grape Varieties for the Colorado Front Range Archived 2013-10-04 at the Wayback Machine." Rist Canyon Vineyards, Accessed: April 14th, 2013
- Jost Vineyards "Grape Varieties" Accessed: April 14th, 2013
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue (VIVC) Marechal Foch Accessed: April 14th, 2013
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue (VIVC) Lucie Kuhlmann Accessed: April 14th, 2013
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue (VIVC) Leon Millot Accessed: April 14th, 2013
- David A. Bailly "The History of Alexis Bailly Vineyard" 1986. Accessed: April 14th, 2013
- Wines of Canada "Grape Varietal Nova Scotia" Accessed: April 14th, 2013