From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Roman Road
For most of its length Mareham Lane follows the route of a minor Roman road, and the name is also used for that Roman road from Bourne to the original ford at Sleaford and perhaps on to Lincoln (Lindum Colonia).
- RR260 Bourne-Sleaford
- RR262 Sleaford-Bracebridge Heath
|Selection of photographs from the collection on Wikimedia Commons|
(Links to map resources)
|OS Grid Ref||Notes|
|Footpath to Cawthorpe||TF095216||King street deviates from modern A15, to go through Stainfield to Ancaster. Start of Roman Mareham Lane
|Old Beck culvert||TF090273||Bottom of Windmill Hill, Rippingale.
Start of linear Roman alignment on OS map
|Layby at Graby||TF092288||Modern A15 straightened in the late 20th century.
Roman alignment continues into lay-by
|Footpath to Graby Lane||TF093290||Roman alignment continues across field as public footpath
|Graby Lane||TF094294||End of footpath.
Start of Modern Mareham Lane.
End of mapped Roman alignment
|Dry Ford||TF094338||Seasonally intermittent Stream, sometimes appears across road.
Stream flows into Ouse Mere Lode
|Billingborough crossroads||TF093340||Billingborough road, Folkingham
Folkingham road, Billingborough.
|Stow Green||TF094351||Site of Stow Fair.
Site of Anglo-Saxon nunnery.
|Threekinghham crossroads||TF092364||Modern A52 crosses Modern Mareham Lane.
|Mareham House||TF090380||Road junction at Spanby
|Bend||TF083438||Northern end of Roman alignment on OS map.
Modern road deviates, and Roman Alignment becomes unclear.
|Corner||TF081447||Modern Mareham road turns left.
This different alignment continues toward the old ford at Sleaford as a footpath.
|Parish boundary||TF079450||Modified alignment continues past modern Mareham Lane as parish boundary
Public footpath alongside.
|Sleaford level crossing||TF069453||End of modern road called Mareham Lane at Sleaford level crossing.
|cropmark||TF084442||Possible continuation of straight alignment after the bend
|cropmark||TF084456||Well-founded discovery of Roman road not on expected alignment.
|Ruskington||TF081501||Well-founded discovery of Roman road to south of Ruskington, on public footpath.
Speculative northern continuation from Sleaford to Lincoln
- High Dyke, Lincolnshire
- King Street (Roman road) Water Newton to Bourne to Ancaster, Margary number RR26
- RR260: Margary, Ivan Donald (1973). Roman roads in Britain. J. Baker. p. 206. ISBN 978-0-212-97001-8.
- "National monument record:Roman Road RR260 Bourne to Lincoln via Sleaford".
- "National monument record:Roman Road RR262 Sleaford to Lincoln via Bracebridge Heath".
- Margary, Ivan Donald. Roman roads in Britain.
- "National Monument record:Cropmark near bend in the road". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "National Monument record:Cropmark to east of original alignment". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "National Monument record:Cropmark on Footpath near Ruskington". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
Route map: Bing