Matějovský lining up for the Czech Republic in 2009
|Full name||Marek Matějovský|
|Date of birth||20 December 1981|
|Place of birth||Brandýs nad Labem, Czechoslovakia|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|1986–1990||Slavoj Stará Boleslav|
|1990–1994||Alfa Brandýs nad Labem|
|2016–||→ Mladá Boleslav (loan)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 07:25, 23 March 2016 (UTC).
Matějovský started his football career at the age of five with Slavoj Stará Boleslav, progressing to Alfa Brandýs nad Labem at the age of 13. After turning 18, he signed professional terms with Mladá Boleslav for the 1999–2000 season, who were then playing in the Czech 2. Liga. In the spring of 2001, he switched to Gambrinus liga team Jablonec, but returned to Mladá Boleslav in January 2003. After settling back into the team, he helped them win promotion to the Gambrinus liga for the start of the 2004–05 season, where they remained for the rest of Matějovský's stay at the club. He was promoted to captain of Mladá Boleslav at the start of the 2005–06 season.
Matějovský's performances in the Czech Republic alerted big clubs elsewhere in Europe to his ability, and he was linked with moves to Liverpool, Hamburg and Steaua Bucharest. However, it was announced on 7 January 2008 that Reading had signed Matějovský on a three-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around £1.42 million.
Nick Hammond said, "Marek is primarily a central midfield player but he is also capable of playing in both wide positions or behind the strikers – he is a player we have been following for some time, and when the opportunity arose to sign him it was too good to turn down." Brian McDermott kept an eye on him for roughly 18 months, and had seen him in action a number of times. He said "He's captain of his club, and has played all their games in the last three years except when he's been suspended. That's the type of guy he is."
He made his debut for Reading on 19 January in a 2–0 home defeat to Manchester United, coming on as an 80th-minute substitute for Bobby Convey. His first start for Reading was in another 2–0 home defeat, this time to Bolton Wanderers on 2 February. Matějovský scored his first goal for Reading on 15 March, with a 20-yard effort in a 2–1 loss at Liverpool. Two weeks later, he was sent off in a goalless draw against Blackburn Rovers at the Madejski Stadium. He totalled 15 appearances in his first season, which ended with relegation to the Championship.
Matějovský was capped 15 times by the Czech Republic national football team. Karel Brückner first called him up as a replacement for the injured David Jarolím for the Czech Republic's Euro 2008 qualifier against Wales on 2 September 2006, but had to wait until 7 February 2007 to make his international debut as a 70th-minute substitute in a friendly with Belgium, coming on for Tomáš Galásek and assisting the second goal in a 2–0 win.
He scored his only international goal in the Czech Republic's 3–0 win over Germany in Munich, also hitting the post, to cement their place at Euro 2008. He started the second and third group games at the Euro 2008 but was taken off with an injury against Turkey.
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
|Mladá Boleslav||1999–2000||2. Liga||2||0||-||-||-||2||0|
|Baumit Jablonec||2000–01||Czech First League||1||0||-||-||-||1||0|
|Mladá Boleslav (loan)||2001–02||2. Liga||3||0||-||-||-||3||0|
|Mladá Boleslav||2003–04||2. Liga||0||0||-||-||-||0||0|
|2004–05||Czech First League||28||1||-||-||-||28||1|
|Sparta Prague||2010–11||Czech First League||25||0||0||0||-||10||1||1||0||36||1|
Statistics accurate as of match played 18 November 2009
|1.||17 October 2007||Munich, Germany||Germany||2–0||3–0||UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying Group D|
- Sparta Prague
- "Matejovsky's complete factfile". readingfc.co.uk. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- "Royals to sign Matejovsky". readingfc.co.uk. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "Matejovsky signs three-and-a-half-year deal with Reading". Sky Sports. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "Reading to sign Czech midfielder". BBC Sport. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "Scout report on Matejovsky". readingfc.co.uk. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-08.
- "Valiant Royals beaten by United". readingfc.co.uk. 19 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-19.
- "Royals beaten by Wanderers". readingfc.co.uk. 2 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-03.
- "Liverpool 2–1 Reading". BBC Sport. 15 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- Barder, Russell (29 March 2008). "Reading 0-0 Blackburn". BBC Sport. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- "V kabině je dál největší lídr Řepka, říká nový kapitán Matějovský" (in Czech). idnes.cz. 15 March 2008. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Czech's Jarolim out of Wales tie". BBC Sport. 28 August 2006. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- "Marek Matějovský". National Football Teams. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "M.Matějovský". uk.soccerway.com. Soccerway. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marek Matějovský.|