|Dr. Marek Obrtel|
December 17, 1966|
Přerov, Czech Republic
|Service/||Army of Czech Republic|
|Years of service||1999–2006|
|Battles/wars||War in Afghanistan (2001)|
Dr. Marek Obrtel is a Czech Republic Army ex-officer, who served in the Afghanistan War. He is best known for returning the medal he received during his posting in Afghanistan War for NATO operations in protest against the U.S. policy on Russia, calling the North Atlantic alliance a "criminal organization" with "atrocious interests". He served in 11th Field Hospital of Army of Czech Republic.
He also made a statement to a Belgrade daily commenting on NATO's involvement in the Kosovo War in 1999. "Genocide against Serbs took place in Kosovo, and it was instigated by the West. For this reason, I am filled with sadness, bitterness and disappointment as I was part of the NATO machinery. I also witnessed how drug lords became respectable officials of the so-called state of Kosovo, and how mass murderers became heroes".
- Johnston, Raymond (30 December 2014). "Army doctor to return medals in protest against NATO". Prague Post (30 December 2014). Prague Post. Czech News Agency. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- News, EIN (30 December 2014). "Doctor Returns NATO Medals - Ashamed for Serving War Criminals". NATO News Today (30 December 2014). EIN News. EIN Newsdesk. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- Czech Republic, Military. "First Czechs in ISAF". www.army.cz/. Ministry of Defense & Armed Forces of the Czech Republic. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- InSerbia, News (29 December 2014). "Czech NATO veteran ashamed of medals, wants to return them". InSerbia News (29 December 2014). InSerbia News. InSerbia Network Foundation. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- InSerbia, News (13 January 2015). "Czech NATO veteran ashamed of medals, wants to return them". InSerbia News (13 January 2015). InSerbia News. InSerbia Network Foundation. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
|This biographical article related to the military of the Czech Republic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|