Margaret Louise Brandeau is an American management scientist and engineer whose research applies operations research to decision-making in public health. She is the Coleman F. Fung Professor in the Stanford University School of Engineering, and also holds a courtesy affiliation with the Stanford University School of Medicine.
With Edward H. Kaplan, Brandeau is the editor of the book Modeling the AIDS Epidemic: Planning, Policy, and Prediction (Raven Press, 1994). She has also studied strategies for responding to the opioid epidemic in the United States, and the question of whether eating organic food has health benefits.
Brandeau earned a bachelor's degree in mathematics in 1977 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). After continuing at MIT for a master's degree in operations research in 1978, she completed her Ph.D. in engineering economic systems in 1985 at Stanford University.
In 2008, Brandeau was the winner of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) President's Award "for her pioneering research on public health policy models, including those for HIV and drug abuse prevention and treatment, and for translating her results into improved U.S. and international health policies". She became a Fellow of INFORMS in 2009. In 2015 she won the INFORMS WORMS Award for the Advancement of Women in OR/MS, and the Philip McCord Morse Lectureship Award.
- "Margaret Brandeau", Stanford Profiles, retrieved 2019-11-16
- Reviews of Modeling the AIDS Epidemic:
- Lipsitch, Marc (March 1995), The Quarterly Review of Biology, 70 (1): 123, doi:10.1086/418970, JSTOR 3037236CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Philipson, Tomas (Summer 1995), Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 14 (3): 493, doi:10.2307/3325040, JSTOR 3325040CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Raab, G. M. (July 1995), American Journal of Epidemiology, 142 (1): 105–105, doi:10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a117539CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Altmann, Michael (September 1995), Chance, 8 (4): 36–39, doi:10.1080/09332480.1995.10542472CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Larson, Richard C. (September–October 1995), Interfaces, 25 (5): 211–213, JSTOR 25062061CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Becker, Niels G. (March 1996), Statistics in Medicine, 15 (5): 563–564, doi:10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19960315)15:5<563::AID-SIM273>3.0.CO;2-6CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Frakt, Austin (March 4, 2019), "The Opioid Dilemma: Saving Lives in the Long Run Can Take Lives in the Short Run", The New York Times
- Chang, Kenneth (September 3, 2012), "Stanford Scientists Cast Doubt on Advantages of Organic Meat and Produce", The New York Times
- "Margaret L. Brandeau", Recognizing Excellence: Award Recipients, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences, retrieved 2019-11-16