|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2015)|
A graduate of the University of Manitoba Bachelor of Fine Arts, Buffie worked for many years as a visual artist before beginning a writing career in 1985. Her first manuscript, a novel entitled Who is Frances Rain? (1987), was published by Kids Can Press. Buffie's books have been published internationally in England, Germany, Italy, Denmark, China, Australia, and many other countries.
Her latest novel, "Winter Shadows", was published on October 12, 2010 by Tundra Books, a division of Random House.
Buffie is a recipient of the Vicky Metcalf Award Body of Work Award (For Writing Inspirational to Canadian Youth). She is also a recipient of the Young Adult Canadian Book Award; is a two time winner of the McNally Robinson Book for Young People award and has been shortlisted for many other awards and honours.
- Who is Frances Rain? (1987), US Title: The Haunting of Frances Rain, winner of the Young Adult Canadian Book Award
- The Warnings (1989), original title The Guardian Cicle, International Youth Library Notable Book
- My Mother's Ghost (1992) nominated for a Governor General's Award
- The Dark Garden (1995) winner of the McNally Robinson Book for Young People
- Angels Turn Their Backs (1998) New York Public Library Books for the Teenager, 1999
- The Watcher (2000) shortlisted: Young Adult Canadian Book Award (Canadian Library Association)
- The Seeker (2002) Voya's 18th Annual List of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy for the Young Adult Reader, 2003
- The Finder (2004) winner of The McNally Robinson Book for Young People Award
- Out of Focus (2006)Top Ten Canadian Books for Young Adults, Ontario Library Association
- Winter Shadows (2010)Winner of the Silver Nautilus Award, (USA); nominated for the Canadian Library Assoc Book of the Year Award