|Born||7 March 1899
Bow, London, United Kingdom
|Died||12 March 2011
(aged 112 years, 5 days)
Wilstead, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
|Known for||Oldest living person in the United Kingdom|
Margaret Ethel Fish (née Willetts; 7 March 1899 – 12 March 2011) of Wilstead, Bedfordshire became the oldest person in the United Kingdom (at the age of 111 years, 225 days) following the death of 111-year-old Elsie Steele on 18 October 2010 until her own death on 12 March 2011, aged 112 years, 5 days.
She was born at Tower Hamlets and married Frank Fish, a World War I veteran, in 1928. Frank died in 1987 at the age of 89 of a heart and lung condition. Margaret was a dressmaker and lived independently at Cople until the age of 104. Later, she moved to live with her 71-year-old daughter Barbara for two years, and then she moved into Danecroft Nursing Home in Wilstead.
Fish enjoyed television and having a good meal. When asked about her recipe to a long life she said to "not worry about it"; that there is no secret.
She died in her nursing home on 12 March 2011, five days after her 112th birthday, since which time her health had declined.
Fish had two daughters, Barbara and Elsie; several grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.
- Validated living supercentenarians The Gerontology Research Group lists persons as 'living' whose age has been validated and confirmed to be alive within the past year. Archived 1 December 2007 at WebCite
- Margaret Ethel Fish : Obituary
- "Margaret is leading lady". Bedfordshire on Sunday. 2010-10-24. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Happy 110th birthday!". Biggleswade Today. 2009-03-06. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- Knowles, Keeley (2009-03-07). "Supercentenarian celebrates big birthday". Bedfordshire on Sunday. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/_news/1247461/Oldest-woman-in-Britain-dies-aged-112.html[dead link]
|Oldest person in the United Kingdom
18 October 2010 – 12 March 2011
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|