Margaret Holland Sargent
|Margaret Holland Sargent|
December 30, 1927|
Margaret Holland Sargent also known as Meg Sargent (born December 30, 1927 in Hollywood, California) is a portrait artist based in Los Angeles, California. She has painted over three hundred oil portraits, including portraits of Tennessee Williams, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter and Margaret Thatcher.
Sargent's father, Cecil Holland, was a character actor and theatrical makeup man. He has been cited as influential on her career. Sargent traveled extensively as an adult with her husband, a career military officer.
Sargent studied oil portraiture with Herbert Elmer Abrams in the 1960s and John Howard Sanden in the 1970s at the Art Students League of New York. She attended University of California at Los Angeles and is a member of Kappa Delta sorority. She first painted in a spare bedroom of her home, eventually developing a freestanding studio on her property.
Sargent is a skilled businesswoman who has promoted herself throughout her career, employing portfolios, flyers, a website and print advertisements. She has used computers and digital cameras in her work since 1997.
Sargent has frequently painted portraits of officers from the U.S. military, such as Alexander Haig, James Stockdale and the first female chaplain in the armed forces, Dianna Pohlman Bell. She is known for painting many of the first women officers in the United States military.
- American Portrait Society
- The American Society of Portrait Artists
- Council of Leading American Portrait Painters
- Painters Club of New York
- Salmagundi Club
- June 7, 2005 American Artist article on Margaret Holland Sargent
- Price, Linda S (2000). "The Business of Portrait Painting". American Artist. 64 (694). p. 50.
- Lovoos, Janice (1983). "Margaret Holland Sargent". American Artist. 47 (489). pp. 46–94.
- Forst, Elizabeth (November 2005). "Painting in the Digital Age". American Artist. 69 (759): 16–27.
- Biography from AskART Archives
- Rohlk, Lori (February 2000). "Bold Strokes". Working Woman. 25 (2): 17.
- Calvin, Paula E; Deacon, Deborah A (2011-01-01). American women artists in wartime, 1776-2010. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland. p. 138. ISBN 9780786449873.
- "Portraits Go West!". InternationalArtist.com (73): 28. June–July 2010.