May 10, 1920|
Valdosta, Georgia, U.S.
January 26, 2016 (aged 95)|
Westbury, New York, U.S.
|Known for||Teaching at Juilliard|
Margaret Pardee Butterly (May 10, 1920 – January 26, 2016) was an American violinist and violin teacher.
Life and career
After a brief solo career, Pardee started teaching in the 1940s. She taught at Juilliard for over 60 years. She also taught at the Meadowmount School of Music summer programs. She married Daniel Butterly. In addition to mentoring her students, she was a surrogate mother to many and housed one or two students at a time for many years. Throughout her career, she collected violins and violas. In her mid-eighties, she donated a set of 30 violins and violas to the Juilliard School, including a 1771 Guadagnini violin, an 1845 Gagliano violin, and an 1810 J.B. Ceruti half-size violin. Her former students perform in ensembles and orchestras throughout the country including the New York Philharmonic, the Saint Louis Symphony and others. In an interview she reveled in the success of her students and the fact that she continued to hear from them in later years. She died at the age of 95 in 2016.
In regard to teaching Pardee said, "The composer gives us an indication of what he'd like. But the musician has to feel the phrasing so it goes over to the audience. That's a major part of making a musician."
- "Margaret Pardee". donohue-cecere.com. Archived from the original on April 9, 2016. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Timothy Jocelyn, ed. (1995). The World Who's who of Women – Volume 13. Melrose Press. p. 62. ISBN 0948875127.
- Lori Bierly. "A Life Devoted to Music and Students - and Fiddles!". Juilliard. Archived from the original on April 10, 2016. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "Meadowmount School of Music – Distinguished Meadowmount Alumni". meadowmount.com. Archived from the original on October 17, 2013. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "Juilliard School Veteran Margaret Pardee Has Died – Aged 95". The Violin Channel. January 26, 2016. Archived from the original on April 9, 2016. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- Lori Bierly Padua (March 2016). "Margaret Pardee 1920 – 2016". The Juilliard Journal. Archived from the original on March 31, 2016. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Rahel Musleah (January 18, 1998). "An Otherwise Typical Boy's Passion for the Violin". The New York Times. Archived from the original on April 9, 2016. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Notes by Karen Schwartz – accompanist to Miss Pardee Archived
- Margaret Pardee image at the Wayback Machine (archived January 6, 2009)