Margaretta Township, Erie County, Ohio
|Margaretta Township, Erie County, Ohio|
Countryside at the eastern edge of Margaretta Township
Location of Margaretta Township (red) in Erie County, adjacent to the city of Sandusky (yellow)
|• Total||50.2 sq mi (129.9 km2)|
|• Land||32.6 sq mi (84.5 km2)|
|• Water||17.5 sq mi (45.4 km2)|
|Elevation||620 ft (189 m)|
|• Density||183/sq mi (70.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086066|
Margaretta Township is one of the nine townships of Erie County, Ohio, United States. It is part of the Sandusky, Ohio metropolitan statistical area. As of the 2010 census the population was 5,981, 4,497 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Portage Township, Ottawa County - north across Sandusky Bay, west of Danbury Township
- Danbury Township, Ottawa County - north across Sandusky Bay, east of Portage Township
- Sandusky - northeast
- Perkins Township - east
- Oxford Township - southeast corner
- Groton Township - south
- Townsend Township, Sandusky County - southwest
- Riley Township, Sandusky County - west across Sandusky Bay
- Bay Township, Ottawa County - northwest across Sandusky Bay
The farthest north and west township in Erie County, Margaretta Township is the only county township with any border on Ottawa County.
Two villages are located in Margaretta Township: Bay View on the Sandusky Bay shoreline, and Castalia in the center of the township. The census-designated places of Crystal Rock and Whites Landing lie in the township's northwest and far west.
A section in the northwest is the only part of Erie County to lie outside the Western Reserve.
Name and history
Margaretta Township was named for several family members named Margaret, namely the mother, sister, and nieces of Major Frederick Falley, a founder of the township.
It is the only Margaretta Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Margaretta township, Erie County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- Williams, William W. (1879). History of the Fire Lands, Comprising Huron and Erie Counties, Ohio. Press of Leader Printing Company. p. 492.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.