Isle of Man, UK
|Known for||algal taxonomy; university teacher|
|Institutions||University of Liverpool|
|Notable students||Mary Parke|
Elsie May Burrows
Margery Knight (1889–1973) was an algologist, artist and lecturer at the Port Erin Marine Biological Station, University of Liverpool.
Her research focused on the chromosome numbers and life histories of algae. The book Manx algae; an algal survey of the south end of the Isle of Man that she published with Mary Parke in 1931 became a standard reference.
She was supportive of students, going as far as to provide finance to them from her own personal resources. On her 80th birthday ex-students and colleagues presented her with a tribute of an album of pressed seaweeds and messages.
Her publications included:
- Manx algae; an algal survey of the south end of the Isle of Man by Margery Knight and Mary Parke, 1931, University of Liverpool Press.
- Knight, Margery (1924) XVII. Studies in the Ectocarpaceae. I. The life-history and cytology of Pylaiella litoralis, Kjellm. Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of The Royal Society of Edinburgh 53 (2) 343–360
- Knight, Margery (1930) XV. Studies in the Ectocarpaceae. II: the life-history and cytology of Ectocarpus siliculosus, Dillw. Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of The Royal Society of Edinburgh 56 (2) 307–332
- Margery Knight and Mary Parke (1950) A biological study of Fucus vesiculosus and F. serratus. Journal of the Marine Biological Association 29 (2) 439 – 515
Her companion was Rose McKenna. In 1936 she was in a car accident that resulted in the loss of one of her legs. In retirement on the Isle of Man Knight painted landscapes in oil, some of which are in the collection of the University of Liverpool. She died in 1973.
- "International Day of Women and Girls in Science". Special Collections & Archives at the University of Liverpool Library. University of Liverpool. Retrieved 27 July 2020.
- Reid, Geraldine (2018). "From the Shore to the Sublittoral: Liverpool's Algal Women". Collections. 14 (4). doi:10.1177/155019061801400405.
- Fogg, G.E. (2004). "Parke, Mary Winifred (1908–1989)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/57569. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- Norton, Trevor A. (2007). "Elsie M. Burrows (1913–1986)". European Journal of Phycology. 22 (4): 317–319. doi:10.1080/00071618700650361.
- Ashcroft, Louise. "The Way of the Gull". Victoria Gallery and Museum. University of Liverpool. Retrieved 27 July 2020.