Margo Burns is a historian (A.B., Mount Holyoke College, 1980, M.A., University of New Hampshire, 1991) specializing in the Salem witch trials and related events, especially those in North Andover. She is an Associate Editor and Project Manager of the book Records of the Salem Witch-Hunt (Bernard Rosenthal, Editor, Cambridge University Press, 2009). She resides in New Hampshire.
Although not directly related to any of North Andover's witchcraft-accused, Burns is the great-x10-granddaughter of Rebecca Nurse, one of the foremost protagonists of the trials in Salem; it was Burns's initial interest in that controversy that led her to explore its North Andover analog. She puts the total accused there at 153.
Burns appears in two history documentaries about the Salem witchcraft trials: "Salem Witch Hunt: Examine the Evidence" (2011) for the Essex National Heritage Commission and the National Park Service, and "Salem: Unmasking the Devil" (2011) with author Katherine Howe, discussing the case of Rebecca Nurse, for the National Geographic Channel. It aired on the BBC under the alternate title "Salem Witch Trials Conspiracy.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salem witch trials.|
- Bridgman, Pat. "Don't believe everything you read in the (Salem witchcraft) papers". Newsletter of the Rebecca Nurse Homestead Preservation Society, Summer 2006.
- Burns, Margo, and Bernard Rosenthal. "Examination of the Records of the Salem Witch Trials". William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 65, No. 3 (2008). pp. 401–422.
- Chase, Elibet Moore. "Trials and Errors". University of New Hampshire Magazine, Spring 2004.
- Messenger, Brian. "Researcher unearths Andover's role in witchcraft trials." The Lawrence Eagle-Tribune, 26 October 2008.
- Rosenthal, Bernard, ed., et al. Records of the Salem Witch-Hunt. Cambridge UP, 2009. ISBN 978-0-521-66166-9
- Applegate, Sally (24 October 2008). "Why did witch history overlook North Andover?". North Andover Citizen.
- Salem Witch Hunt: Examine the Evidence at the Internet Movie Database
- Macdonald, G. Jeffrey (8 November 2011). "Salem Witch Trials Get A Second Look". The Huffington Post.
- "Salem Witch Hunt:Examine the Evidence Premieres Oct. 4", Salem Gazette, September 30, 2011 http://www.essexheritage.org/press/09_30_2011%20Salem%20Gazette%20Salem%20Witch%20Hunt%20Examine%20the%20Evidence%20Premieres%20October%204.pdf
- [dead link]
- Examination of the Records of the Salem Witch Trials at JStor
- "Trials and Errors - Margo Burns". Unhmagazine.ubh.edu. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Researcher unearths Andover's role in witchcraft trials » Merrimack Valley » EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA". Eagletribune.com. Retrieved 2012-11-27.