This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ancestry, the global leader in family history and consumer genomics, harnesses the information found in family trees, historical records, and DNA to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Ancestry has more than three million paying subscribers across its core Ancestry websites with an extensive collection of over 10 billion digitized historical records and has sold approximately 10 million AncestryDNA kits to date. Since 1996, users have created over 100 million family trees and 11 billion ancestor profiles on the Ancestry flagship site and its affiliated international websites. Ancestry offers a suite of family history products and services including AncestryDNA, Archives, AncestryProGenealogists, Newspapers.com and Fold3. AncestryDNA is owned and operated by Ancestry.com DNA, LLC, a subsidiary of Ancestry.com Holdings LLC.
Margaret Georgiadis was appointed CEO of Mattel Inc. in January 2017. She took on the role on February 8, 2017 from Christopher A. Sinclair, who became Executive Chairman of the toy maker, making her the second woman ever to hold this position at the company. According to Piper Jaffray analyst Stephanie Wissink, Georgiadis was selected for CEO (and member of the Board of Directors) in the hope of bringing “a fresh perspective on enterprise alignment and a female voice at the helm does reinvigorate the potential for a dramatic modernization of the Mattel operating model.” With this new position, the Fortune 500 company list of female executives increased to 28.
Georgiadis started her career in 1986 at McKinsey & Company where she was a business analyst for two years before leaving for Harvard Business School (HBS). In 1990 she returned from HBS to rejoin McKinsey & Company, where she was eventually promoted to partner. She left in 2004 for Discover Financial Services, where she was the Executive Vice President of Card Products and the Chief Marketing Officer until 2008. She played a key role in taking the company public, managing consumer and business credit cards, their E-business, and corporate marketing services. Her impact at the firm transformed it from three years of receivables declines, culminating in a sustained 4%+ of receivables growth and top industry margins with sales increasing more than 25% to $93B.
For nine months Georgiadis was Principal at Synetro Capital LLC in 2009. The next two years she spent as Vice President of Global Sales Operations at Google in charge of the firm’s strategies, sales operations and guiding the sales technology teams. She then moved to Groupon for five months as their COO. In 2011 she returned to Google where she was President, Americas, at Alphabet Inc., a position she held until her Mattel one.
Other executive roles
Georgiadis is also a director at McDonald's Corp., Amyris Inc., the Music Institute of Chicago, The Chicago Network, Nine West Holdings, Inc. and the Advertising Council Inc. She is a board member of the Economic Club of Chicago. In the past she was a Director of NorthShore University HealthSystem and a Board Member of The Jones Group Inc.
- Ancestry. "Ancestry Names Margo Georgiadis Chief Executive Officer". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- Ziobro, Paul. "Mattel names Google exec Margaret Georgiadis CEO". Market Watch. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Kell, John. "Mattel Taps Google Executive To Lead Toy Maker". Fortune.
- Clark, Alex. "Mattel Names Margaret H. Georgiadis as Chief Executive Officer, Effective February 8, 2017". Mattel. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Townsend, Tess. "Google is losing an ads star as Margo Georgiadis moves to Mattel". Recode. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Profile". LinkedIn. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Clark, Alex. "Mattel Names Margaret H. Georgiadis as Chief Executive Officer, Effective February 8, 2017". Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Edwards, Jim. "This Google Exec Walked Away From A $27 Million Offer From Groupon". Business Insider. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Mattel Names Margaret H. Georgiadis as CEO". Toy Industry Association, Inc. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- . Bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=34017374&privcapId=82311805. Retrieved 26 February 2017. Missing or empty
- "Margo Georgiadis President, Americas at Google". Blue Sky Vault. Retrieved 26 February 2017.