Maria Cristina Falls
|Maria Cristina Falls|
|Location||Iligan City, Mindanao, Philippines|
|Total height||98 m (321.5 ft)|
|Number of drops||2|
|Longest drop||98 m (321.5 ft)|
|130 m3 (4,600 cu ft)|
Maria Cristina Falls is a waterfall of the Agus River on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. It is sometimes called the "twin falls" as the flow is separated by a rock at the brink of the waterfall. It is a landmark of Iligan City, nicknamed the City of Majestic Waterfalls, because of the presence of more than 20 waterfalls in the city. It is located 9.3 kilometers away southwest of the city proper at the boundaries of Barangays Maria Cristina, Ditucalan, and Buru-un. Known for its natural grandeur, the 320 - feet (98 meters) high waterfall is also the primary source of electric power for the city's industries, being harnessed by the Agus VI Hydroelectric Plant.
Agus VI hydroelectric plant
Maria Cristina Falls powers the Agus VI Hydroelectric Plant, one of the several hydroelectric plants that harness Agus River. The power plant has a 200 MW potential capacity supplied by a water flow of about 130 cubic meters per second.
Agus VI is operated by the National Power Corporation and was commissioned on May 31, 1953. Under President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's Mindanao Super Region development plan, the Agus VI is planned to undergo a 1.856-billion-peso upgrading project.
- "Iligan City - The City of Waterfalls". Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- Official Website of the Iligan City Government - Scenic Spots
- "Maria Christina Falls". World Waterfall Database. 2004. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- Philippine Government tourism page on Iligan City Archived 2007-12-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- NAPOCOR Power Generation Plants in Mindanao - National Statistical Coordination Board
- Rebultan, Babes J. "Super-Region projects in Normin underway" Philippine Information Agency. 2008-02-28. Retrieved on 2008-04-04.
- 1551430859 — Maria Cristina Falls on OpenStreetMap
- Official Website of the Iligan City Government - Maria Cristina Falls
|This article about a location in Northern Mindanao region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|