Maria Cuffaro in 2009, interviewed at the national demonstration for freedom of information.
Maria Cuffaro (born 18 August 1964 in Rome) is a Sicilian journalist and host of TG3. She discovered a passion for journalism collaborating with il Manifesto, L'Espresso, Events and Chanel 4. She has been listed in the Register of Professional Journalists since 29 October 1992.
Born to an Italian father and Indian-Swiss mother, from 15 to 22 years old she painted and tried to launch her career as a painter with two personal exhibitions: At 16 years old she held her first exhibition of drawings at the gallery "il Torchio" in Rome (1980). At 20 years old she held the second and final exhibition in Athens (1986). She worked for the art magazine Leader which, however, ceased publication after a few numbers. From 1985 to 1986 Cuffaro was a teacher of English at two elementary schools in Rome. She then worked with il Manifesto, for whom she was sent to India, Pakistan and South Africa. In 1986 she became a radio broadcaster at Italia Radio, and also writes for Sette, Il Venerdì di Repubblica, Annabella, Avvenimenti (for this newspaper she has also edited a book on immigration), Die Tageszeitung, Nordreihnishcer Rundfunk (German radio) and Nuova Ecologia.
In 1989 Cuffaro headed the program 'Il filo d'Arianna' on Rai 3, which deals with inquiries from abroad. In the following year Sandro Curzi convinced her to join TG3. For a period she presented the program, and worked with Michele Santoro in broadcasting Il rosso e il nero, Il raggio verde and Tempo reale (1996). An investigative journalist, she has been to war zones and has produced numerous reports from Asia, Africa and South America.
In 1997 she wrote a series of documentaries for RAI 2 called Special 24hrs. In 1999 she wrote numerous documentaries for transmission on 'C'era una volta' for RAI3. In 2000 she returned to work with Michele Santoro on the documentaries Sciuscià. She participated in the 2000 edition of the World Social Forum.
Since June 2006 she has been a regular guest on the entertainment program Matinee on Rai2 and led by Max Giusti and Sabrina Nobile. In 2011, during a service of the TG3 in Tunis, she was attacked with her cameraman Claudio Rubino, but still managed to return to the hotel without serious injury.
Currently she is the host of TG3 Rai.
- In 2005 she won the XI Edition of the award "Ilaria Alpi" for her report "Under the Bombs in Nasiriyah" concerning the siege of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Nasiriyah.
- In 2007 she won the journalism award 'Maria Grazia Cutuli' for the report from Nasiriyah with the Russian journalist Yulia Latynina.
- "Perchè nasce questo blog". mediaitaliani.blogspot.it. Retrieved November 6, 2008.
- "Maria Cuffaro: "Il giudizio di Dell'Utri nasconde una censura"". http://magazine.excite.it/. Retrieved 05/11/2008. Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help); External link in
- "MARIA CUFFARO". telegiornaliste.com.
- "MARIA CUFFARO [giornalista-conduttrice TG3]". lettoedetto.wordpress.com. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- "Maria cuffaro". namir.it.
- "Maria Cuffaro". freeforumzone.leonardo.it. Retrieved September 20, 2005.
- "C'era una donna". umbrialibri.com. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "International journalism festival". festivaldelgiornalismo.com. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "MARIA CUFFARO A VILLA BADOER". provincia.rovigo.it. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "I compleanni di 7.682 personaggi famosi in un unico sito". wap.auguri.net.
- "MOLTA TIVÙ, POCA CULTURA MEZZI DI COMUNICAZIONE, NUOVE TECNOLOGIE E DIVARIO DIGITALE". Retrieved April 27, 2000. Check date values in:
- "Sangue a Tunisi, aggredita la giornalista Maria Cuffaro del Tg3". notizie.virgilio.it. Archived from the original on 2011-01-15. Retrieved 12/01/11. Check date values in:
- "IL NUOVO LOOK DI MARIA CUFFARO DEL TG3: CASCHETTO E GIACCA DA BEATLES…". http://carotelevip.net/. Retrieved January 29, 2013. External link in
- Fantasia, Giuseppe. "Maria Cuffaro: dolori e gioie in un libro". Dillinger.it. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- Cuffaro, Maria (2012-08-29). Kajal. Le vite degli altri e la mia. Imprimatur. p. 208. ISBN 9788897949008.
- "Maria Cuffaro apre la 12^ edizione de "Il Sabato del Villaggio"". ondacalabria.it. Archived from the original on July 2, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Cuffaro: io continuerò a vestirmi di nero". corrieresdellasera.it. Retrieved November 6, 2008.
- "I Vincitori dell 'XI Edizione del premio "Ilaria Alpi "". ilariaalpi.it. Archived from the original on 2007-08-14.
- "Il Premio Cutuli 2011, settima edizione". Il corriere della Sera. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- "Liceo Scientifico "Marie Curie" Meda". Retrieved November 24, 2007.