Maria Curie-Skłodowska University
Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej w Lublinie
|Established||October 23, 1944|
|Rector||prof. Radosław Dobrowolski|
Pl. M. Curie-Skłodowskiej 5, 20-031,
Maria Curie-Skłodowska University (MCSU) (Polish: Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej w Lublinie, UMCS) was founded October 23, 1944 in Lublin. It is named in honour of Marie Curie-Sklodowska. Currently the number of students is almost 36,000. The university has 302 professors (157 full professors), 231 habilitated doctors, 826 senior lecturers, and 1829 teachers in total. Total staff is 3628. To meet the growing demand for higher education, the university has established branches in other cities.
In 2011 the Polish national daily newspaper Rzeczpospolita ranked the university 11th among Polish public universities (25).
- Biology and Biotechnology
- Geosciences and Land Management
- Philosophy and Sociology
- Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science
- Pedagogy and Psychology
- Political Science
- Law and Administration
- Off-Campus Branch in Pulawy
- Henryk Cioch (1951–2017), lawyer
- Zyta Gilowska (1949–2016), economist and politician
- Stanisław Michalkiewicz (born 1947), politician and activist
- Maciej Płaza (born 1976), writer and translator
- Jarosław Stawiarski (born 1963), politician
- Roman Szporluk (born 1933), Ukrainian and American historian, professor emeritus, doctor of historical sciences
Founded in 1946 and originally apart of the campus of the University. In 1951, a new location of the Garden in Sławinek (a district in Lublin) was approved. In 1958, the University obtained the property rights of 13-hectare (130,000 m2) area. It has about 6,500 species of flora growing here, gathered in several area, among others, a rosarium, a branch of water plants and an alpine garden. It also features a reconstructed noble manor house from the second half of 18th century. Between 2012 and 2013, 418 species of moths in total were recorded in the Botanical Garden.
- „Szkoły wyższe i ich finanse w 2011 r.”, s. 109, 2012. Główny Urząd Statystyczny. ISSN 1506-2163 (pol.).
- "UMCS Botanical Garden of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University / Lublin City Office". lublin.eu. Retrieved 11 June 2021.
- Dawidowicz, Łukasz; Kucharczyk, Halina (January 2016). "The Maria Curie-Skłodowska University Botanical Garden in Lublin as a refuge of the moths (Lepidoptera: Heterocera) within the city". Acta Biologica. 23: 15–34.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MCSU in Lublin.|