Maria Caterina Farnese
|Maria Caterina Farnese|
|Duchess of Modena and Reggio|
|Duchess of Modena|
|Tenure||11 January 1631 – 25 July 1646|
18 February 1615|
|Died||25 July 1646
Ducal Palace of Sassuolo, Modena
|Spouse||Francesco I d'Este, Duke of Modena|
|Alfonso IV, Duke of Modena
Isabella, Duchess of Parma
Maria, Duchess of Parma
|House||House of Farnese (by birth)
House of Este (by marriage)
|Father||Ranuccio I Farnese, Duke of Parma|
Maria Caterina Farnese (18 February 1615 – 25 July 1646) was a member of the Ducal House of Farnese. She was the Duchess of Modena as the first wife of Francesco I d'Este, Duke of Modena. In some sources she is known simply as Maria Farnese.
Her older brother Odoardo Farnese was later the Duke of Parma. Her mother was Margherita Aldobrandini, daughter of Olimpia Aldobrandini who in turn, was a member of the House of Aldobrandini of Rome, and the sole heiress to the family fortune.
She died in July 1646 having give birth to a son. She died at the Ducal Palace of Sassuolo outside Modena, the summer residence of the Dukes of Modena.
Her nephew Ranuccio II Farnese, Duke of Parma married two of Maria Caterina's daughters, Isabella in 1664 and Maria in 1668. Isabella died in childbirth like her mother. Her husband married again twice, firstly to her sister Vittoria Farnese in 1648 and then to Lucrezia Barberini who was the mother of Rinaldo d'Este, Duke of Modena.
- Alfonso d'Este, Hereditary Prince of Modena (1632) died in infancy.
- Alfonso IV d'Este, Duke of Modena (2 February 1634 – 16 July 1662) married Laura Martinozzi and had issue.
- Isabella d'Este (3 October 1635 – 21 August 1666) married Ranuccio II Farnese, Duke of Parma and had issue.
- Leonore d'Este (1639–1640) died in infancy.
- Tedald d'Este (1640–1643) died in infancy.
- Almerigo d'Este (8 May 1641 – 14 November 1660) died unmarried.
- Eleonore d'Este (1643 – 24 February 1722) died unmarried.
- Maria d'Este (8 December 1644 – 20 August 1684) married Ranuccio II Farnese, Duke of Parma and had issue.
- Tedald d'Este (1646) died in infancy.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 18 February 1615 – 11 January 1631: Her Highness Maria Caterina Farnese, Princess of Parma
- 11 January 1631 – 25 July 1646: Her Highness The Duchess of Modena
|Ancestors of Maria Caterina Farnese|
References and notes