Maria Isabel of Braganza
|Maria Isabel of Braganza|
|Queen consort of Spain|
|Tenure||29 September 1816 – 26 December 1818|
|Born||19 May 1797|
Palace of Queluz, Portugal
|Died||26 December 1818 (aged 21)|
Royal Palace of Aranjuez, Aranjuez, Spain
|Spouse||Ferdinand VII of Spain|
|Infanta María Luisa Isabel|
Infanta María Luisa Isabel
|Father||John VI of Portugal and Brazil|
|Mother||Carlota Joaquina of Spain|
Maria Isabel of Braganza (Maria Isabel Francisca de Assis Antónia Carlota Joana Josefa Xavier de Paula Micaela Rafaela Isabel Gonzaga; 19 May 1797 – 26 December 1818) was an Infanta of Portugal who became the Queen of Spain as the second wife of Ferdinand VII of Spain.
Maria Isabel was again pregnant soon after the birth of her firstborn, but the birth was a difficult one. The baby was in breech and the physicians soon found that the child had died. Maria Isabel stopped breathing soon thereafter and the doctors thought she was dead; when they started cutting her up to extract the dead fetus, she suddenly shouted in pain and collapsed on her bed, bleeding heavily.
It is due to Queen Maria Isabel's dedication and affection for the art world that she managed to gather many treasures from the past and create a royal museum, which would end up being the beginnings of Museo del Prado. It opened on 19 November 1819, a year after the Queen's death.
- Infanta María Luisa Isabel of Spain (21 August 1817 – 9 January 1818)
- Infanta María Luisa Isabel of Spain (26 December 1818), stillborn.
|Ancestors of Maria Isabel of Braganza|
Honours and arms
- Geneall.net (retrieved 30 March 2012).
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 15.
- de los Ángeles Pérez Samper, María. "Carlota Joaquina de Borbón". Diccionario biográfico España (in Spanish). Real Academia de la Historia.
- Genealogie ascendate, p. 9
- Genealogie ascendate, p. 96
Maria Isabel of BraganzaBorn: 19 May 1797 Died: 26 December 1818
| Queen consort of Spain
Maria Josepha Amalia of Saxony