Maria João (model)
|João's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from January 16, 1978|
Maria João Brewster (née: Sousa Leão; Rio de Janeiro, 1955) is a former model from Brazil. Carioca, she made a career as a photographic model in the 1970s and is the only Brazilian to date to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue throughout its history, photographed in Bahia for the 1978 issue.
A former student of Communication at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, Maria João – affectionately called "João" (John) by industry professionals – began her career through the hands of a friend, photographer Pedro Liborio, who sent her photos to the advertising agency DPZ, that placed her on the market of advertising and fashion, starting with an ad to Johnson & Johnson . Among others, she photographed for famous Brazilian magazines like Claudia and Nova and worked with renowned photographers of the country as such as José Antonio and Luis Tripoli.
Married to Alden Brewster, an American partner of Banco Icatu, she is the mother of actress Jordana Brewster, with whom she starred in an advertising campaign in the United States in 2015, and lives in New York City with her family.
- "SI Cover". Sports Illustrated.
- "Gordon Post presents Jordana Brewster". reocities.com.
- Branco Cruz, Felipe. ""Só falo em português com ela"" (in Portuguese). UOL Notícias. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "Jordana Brewster aproveita dia na praia de Copacabana" (in Portuguese). Pop. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- Swimsuit Issues at sicollection.com.
|This biographical article about a Brazilian model is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|