Mutagamba in 2016
5 September 1952 |
|Alma mater||Makerere University
(Bachelor of Arts in economics)
ICL Computer School
(Diploma in computer programming)
John F. Kennedy School of Government
(Certificate in executive leadership)
|Occupation||Economist & politician|
|Years active||1976 — present|
|Title||Ugandan Minister of Water & Environment|
|Spouse(s)||Tarsis Matthew Mutagamba|
Background and education
She was born in Rakai District on 5 September 1952. She studied at St. Aloysius Senior Secondary School in Bwanda, Kalungu District for her O-Level studies (1967-1970). For her A-Level education, she attended Mount Saint Mary's College Namagunga in Mukono District (1971-1972). She attended Makerere University from 1973 until 1976, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in economics. She also holds a Diploma in computer programming from the ICL Computer School in Nairobi, Kenya, obtained in 1980, and a certificate in executive leadership from the John F. Kennedy School of Government in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States, obtained in 1997.
She served as a banking officer with the Bank of Uganda from 1976 to 1980. She was a director of the bank from 1991 until 1999. She was a Constituent Assembly delegate between 1994 and 1995. Between 1999 and 2000, she served as the deputy secretary grneral of the Democratic Party. In 2000, she was appointed Minister of State for Water Resources, a position she held until 2006 when she was appointed Minister of Water and the Environment. She held that position until 2012. The other positions that Mutagamba has held include the following:
- President, African Ministers' Council on Water, 2004 to 2012
- Coordinator, Global Women Leaders Forum for Water and Sanitation, 22005 to 2012
- Member, Nile River Council of Ministers, 2001 to 2012
- Vice chairperson, United Nations Task Force on Integrated Water Resource Management
- Proprietor, Green Point Enterprises.
Maria Mutagamba's husband, Tarsis Matthew Mutagamba, died at the age of 70 due to heart failure on 2 January 2004.
- Newvision Team, . (15 August 2012). "President Yoweri Museveni Reshuffles Cabinet". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Wolfgang, Thome (6 June 2016). "Uganda's President Museveni names Prof. Ephraim Kamuntu as new Tourism Minister". Kampala: Wolfgang Thome Wordpress. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Mukasa, Henry (28 May 2011). "Museveni Names New Cabinet". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Nalugo, Mercy (25 May 2015). "Over 20 MPs bow out of 2016 race". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- MTWA (25 October 2016). "Profile of Maria Emily Lubega Mutagamba". Kampala: Uganda Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities (MTWA). Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- Vision Reporter (5 January 2004). "Uganda: Bishop Kakooza Mourns Mutagamba". New Vision (Kampala) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maria Mutagamba.|